Posts created by SavemeJack

posted in Voodoo Chronicles: The First Sign Collector's Edition on Sep 15, 11 4:51 AM
Forgot it was Thursday. Another dreaded budget bursting, for me anyway, CE. See you tomorrow guys.

So, so sick of not even being able to consider them. No games for those in low or fixed incomes on Thurs. or Sunday anymore.

The rest of you. enjoy.

posted in 4 Elements on Sep 3, 11 7:24 PM
Hii "K-OK" I found the same things in several places. One, if you run out of time, you'd think you could click the map icon and find out just how far you got - but oh, that would be too easy. It takes you right back to the map you just played, then your only option is to "Start" again!. It saves nothing, and I never got to see one trophy either! I was on the 4th book, past the "find the differences" and doing pretty good. Would get stuck and follow the fairy' suggestions. Then I found out I was actually playing this game with no rules written anywhere, except her hints at the end of a round, and I just found this out!! Took me some time to figure out the two-layer game board, frozen pieces, the differences between bombs, slabs - sure you know what I mean. I have been playing this game for days upon days, and just now figured out the different ways the power arrows work - and her suggestions were taking me the wrong way!! Now I'm mad! It's not so easy staying up long nights playing a game you are given no directions for - detailed directions.
Tough life, huh? But I thoroughy have enjoyed every minute of this very long game..

posted in Murder Island: Secret of Tantalus on Aug 16, 11 11:23 AM
Personally, I thought this game was GREAT !! Not your run-of-the-mill story; in fact this one really did have a story that was a surprise when you finally solved the mystery. The graphics were bright and clear and I had no trouble finding the objects, once you got a hang of what an "icon" was, etc. Greek and Roman based story/mystery on an island in the middle of no where where 8 students gather for a reunion. One student is a relative of the rich guy who owns the island. What is it that you didn't get enough out of the hints! In the H O games, they were right on, and while you were searching for places on the island, maybe no so great. But you have a map and it tells you where you have completed all you need to do, and shows you where you could go next, and even takes you there! The story flowed like a good mystery novel, voiceovers in between some scenes, not that many H O scenes, no dark or dreary, and full of surprises.

Don't pay any attention to these other reviews. You don't need a walkthrough, and if you are so inclined to use one, there is one on another site. This was a great game, bright, good story line, some voiceovers, some H O 's, and lots of adventure. No handholding here, except the map. Such a nice thing to have - now I'll be spoiled for all other games. I was a decent length - I'd say about at least 4 hours, and I have been playing these games since 2005.

I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Guess you can't go by what others say, you have to try it out first.

Happy Gaming.

cg

posted in Mystery Trackers: The Void on Aug 10, 11 7:36 PM
This may have been an older game, but both Mystery Trackers I played were excellento. Long, long, long. Good story line, difficult but not too difficult H O scenes, a lot of thinking and interaction on your part, graphics fine, music unobtrusive. My only problem were those *&%( puzzles. Skipped almost all of them; man, they were impossible.

But if any of you are thinking of getting this to fill up your last punch on your punch card, or because it comes out as a DD, it is worth every dime of the original $6.99, so don't hesitate if you like mystery hidden objects with a lot of interaction and challenging puzzles in a game that seems to last forever!

Have a good gaming day, and quite a few good gaming days if you get this one!

posted in Haunted Halls: Green Hills Sanitarium on Nov 28, 10 12:49 AM
This is the second CE that was flawless and long, and then they come out with the SE and it's full of problems and too short. What is up with that? They look like the same game, except the "extras" are disabled. Why would that make it a shorter game, and cause all the cursor issues everyone else is having with this game and didn't have with the CE.

You wait and you wait and you wait for the regular edition to come out, and it's such a disappointment with all the problems and the length. Something fishy going on here?

posted in Haunted Halls: Green Hills Sanitarium on Nov 28, 10 12:43 AM
Guess moderators are on vacation - 4 days of it. Inexcusable. Same problem with the cursor, even after disabling the custom cursor, it took me at least 20 minutes to get the items out of the trunk.

No fix, no buy.

Seems like it's taking an awful long time between the SE games and the regular games to come out. They look to be basically the same game, with all the "extras" unfunctionable. What's up with that?

I have never had cursor problems before, as many people have. It is really, really frustrating.

posted in Letters from Nowhere on Nov 21, 10 8:38 PM
Hi Gillian and Eagle - if you haven't found out yet, I don't want to spoil the fun for you. There is a walkthrough posted on this game, and you can find the answer there. But I don't know where I am posting this, so may be a spoiler if I tell you. Let's see: A hint - you don't need money FOR the piggybank. You need money FROM the piggy bank. There is an object in the scene that will allow you to get the money FROM the piggy bank.

I'm sure you've already found it by now - it's late on the 21st for me. Bed time. Try the walkthrough first, and PM me and I'll tell you what I found on the walkthrough. I played this so long ago, and have played a couple games since then, so that's where I had to go to find out what you were talking about.

Enjoy the game!

cg

posted in Mystic Diary: Haunted Island on Nov 16, 10 8:30 PM
I'm a little late on playing this one; one month, bought so many games, I've been working my way through them. If you want to call this an IHOG, fine, but use the "interactive" part very lightly. Adventure? Very loosly an adventure game.

I enjoyed the graphics; the hidden object scenes were very well done with a couple of stumpers here and there that I had to use a hint on; the music I adjusted to be low, with the sound affects and atmosphere higher - that worked just fine for me and was not obtrusive. A lot of "to and fro" which is fine with me as I like that - and enjoyed the ability to move from the island back to the home through the use of a portal (which comes up half way through the game). The puzzles were really good (I love puzzles) and quite challenging. Liked finding the ingredients to make a potion on one puzzle. This is not a game that is going to force you to check the walkthrough, if you have the patience to run around and find what you missed. I'd have to rate it a B-.

As someone said earlier, you have got to get those "tracing" puzzles right on the mark. There were many times when I would give it my best 20 or 30 times, then forced to skip them. Other times I would get it right away. Don't understand the reasoning behind that. I think it may go along with the fact that you really have to click in the exact place to get some hidden objects. I don't like that, and call it a glitch. It was short, and I thought the story line was incomprehensible. These are the reasons I couldn't give it a better rating. Probably best to save for a DD because I don't think it's worth the full price.

cg

posted in Letters from Nowhere on Nov 7, 10 8:53 PM
Finished this game - and had fun playing it. If there's going to be a sequel, it better be next week. I won't spoil the game for others that liked it as I did.

cg

posted in Letters from Nowhere on Nov 5, 10 8:56 PM
EEK - am I late on my review. Guess I downloaded so many bummers all at the same time, and have finally gotten around to this trial. Let me say first, I bought it. I am not a big HOg fan at all. Even tho this one has a teeny bit of adventure to it and some (very few) IHOg's in it. There is something about this game that grabbed me. The story is good, yet weird. I still don't know what it's all about - which keeps my interest. I like games (like The Great Gatsby - very underrated) that have hidden objects to find in every scene, but not on the list. In this case "stamps" which give you the points so you can buy other things that may or may not help you find the objects on your list. The whole concept of keeping score and the ability to buy objects that help you is very unusual. I'm not paying too cose attention to my score. Before I came to read these comments, I did not know you were penalized for mis-clicks and hints. But have been doing pretty good so far.

The hidden objects themselves are very difficult to find. I wouldn't say they were junkpiles, just very well hidden, sometimes behind things or color on color objects. It's the @#%&# stamps that are the hardest to find for me - so normal looking, but certainly not looking like stamps.

It is a complicated HOg, to say the least. Letters found in every scene - from who I still don't know - direct you to find your husband. Who this mysterious letter writter is or why the husband was taken in the first place is still the big mystery.

There's nothing "flat" about this game, as birds clean themselves, cats wag their tails, wind blows leaves around, and critters run across the screen. The scenes are crisp - no fog here (so far), the music is repetitive so I just mute that and keep the sounds on. Custom cursor is fine. The whole game seems to work on any screen type using the options provided. I'm quite enjoying it, and can't wait to get back to it - been waiting all day. Hope you find this as intriguing as I did. to all. cg

posted in Bloodline of the Fallen: Anna's Sacrifice on Nov 3, 10 7:57 AM
Tinyzac - couldn't have said it better myself. This is so unbelievably bad, after 1/2 hour I still did not know what the story was, besides ruining my eyesight trying to find the teeniest things in the night time. I am a very big American Indian fan in everything they do, but the music drove me to insanity. Which is where I am now! No buy for me - couldn't even finish the trial.

to all the fishies that loved it. Take it, get it off my computer. Thank you.

posted in Mystery Valley on Nov 3, 10 5:28 AM
I've been thinking about when you fix a game that someone has downloaded only the trial version of, and I don't think it's right if someone is trying out a game with a "glitch" in it, and spent most of their trial time trying to figure our if it's them or the game! Then when you come out with a fix, we are left with maybe tops 15 minutes left on our trial. That is not enough time to get through the opening credits, fix the options, and, specifically in this game, to put our name in during the opening story - which is where you have to put your name in.

We play the trial to see if we like it, but if there is a problem with the game, it is not our fault. Then you go and fix it, and we are left with tops 15 minutes left on our trial. That's not enough time to get through the opening scenes.

I know BFG has the best customer service around, Maybe you could take this into consideration. We are left with practically no time left to see if we like the game, and probably won't buy it. What would it cost you to start our trial over at 60 minutes after you have fixed the game so it plays as it should???? Something to ponder.

Thank you for pondering.

posted in Mystery Valley on Nov 3, 10 5:16 AM
Posted this twice - sorry.

posted in Secret Diaries: Florence Ashford on Nov 3, 10 3:54 AM
Definitely an Adventure/hog game, but a little too easy for my tastes (every where you need to go is told to you, and it's hand holding throughout) I did play on the easy mode, but then changed and there wasn't much difference. The hints are plentiful, the graphics are nice, but I don't like the sunlight with speckles of light shining everywhere inside. It makes it foggy looking and harder to see things in those areas.

The music was, as said, awful, so muted that. The game played flawlessly with no glitches that I could find.

The plot was interesting, and got more so as the story went along.

But between being way too easy and not challenging in the least, and that romantic air to it that I just plain don't like - give me a creepy dead guy over that anyday - it was a no buy for me.

For those that enjoy this type of game, even for those new to hogs with a little adventure, what a perfect first game to try out!

posted in The Island: Castaway on Nov 3, 10 2:12 AM
I must have missed something during my trial. I, too, was bored with the running and the eating and the picking up stuff all the time, and people telling me what to go and get and do. Got stuck on the fishing thing (never could fish), so just quit. But so many great reviews! Maybe I felt rushed during the trial, but if I bought it, I wouldn't have to worry about getting things done quickly - could take my time and figure things out. So this one goes on the "to buy" list when I get my free credit this month. Thanks all you great fishies for making me see the FUN in playing this game, instead of the rushing around during the trial. Maybe because the poor guy has to RUN everywhere, too. But I'll give it a try with a free credit - could use something fun to play for a change!!

Thanks again!

posted in Time Mysteries: Inheritance on Oct 31, 10 9:23 PM
I, too was bored with the whole game, including the story line. Same Stuff, Different Day. The only thing that make me download it to play was the thought of having to play M3's to get more hints - not that I'm a big fan of M3's, but thought it would be different.

In all nothing was different. The graphics were clean, the ****'s somewhat difficult to find in the junkpile, but not impossible. The MUSIC - ARGGHHHH. How awful!! Had to mute it from the very beginning of the trial. There was some interaction in this IHOG, which was a plus, but there was no challenge to it. It may be a long game, but I'm sure I'd probably start throwing things around the house as I would feel I HAD to play the whole thing since I paid for it. Everything appeared so FLAT. Why was that - no dimension to anything.

I'm very happy for those that bought and will enjoy a long game that they like. For me, no ever on this one.

posted in Sinister City on Oct 24, 10 2:57 AM
First, I did not like the fact that you had to direct John where to go - that would be John ... just John. If that was suppose to be funny, I missed it entirely. It was very slow moving and lacking in direction. You were to put the hypnosis machine together, but somehow I missed where the darn machine was, so spent a lot of time putting the discs and power things in different places, and had to finally use a hint. I've played all these mini-games before, only under much better circumstances. To me, this was clumbsy, to say the least, and a repeat of much better games out there.

To those who loved it, play on!! For me, it was just plain dumb.

posted in Mysteries of Magic Island on Oct 23, 10 11:47 PM
Boy, these forums on comments and reviews have become so hostile lately. Why play or trial a game and then come here to take it out on each other!! Maybe it's due to the frustration around in the new "world order" that is going to sh_t. I don't have any idea, but have never seen it so bad.

Anyway, all is forgiven on my end. I know where and who to take my frustrations out on, and it is not the great fishies that post here.

The game. I thought it had many interesting aspects, such as the running to and fro (although I agree about the map - useless); the potion making was different, the way the hidden objects were displayed was totally different, the puzzles were set up so you didn't even realize you were playing a puzzle, and the atmosphere was great.

Am I getting too old to see these little tiny birds that don't really even look like birds, that I have to find three of to progress? I thought the graphics may have been fine, but things you had to find were soooooo small, and didn't even look like what they were. IMHO, you were immediately thrown into this game with little story behind why you were there, and then asked to look for things you had no idea what the hell they were suppose to look like, besides being too tiny to find. It could have been a great game except for that. Lots to do, different approaches to the usual HOG game, but if I can't see what I'm doing, I'm not going to spend my credit on it.

And to all the newcomers here who chose to post such ridiculous complaints about a perfectly acceptable game, I feel compelled to tell you that is not the way it has always been around here. If nothing else, this was a place where postings were informative, sometimes funny, but ALWAYS courteous. Anyone agree?

Cathy

posted in Ancient Spirits: Columbus' Legacy on Oct 11, 10 1:31 PM
Agree, stress-less games are a plus in themselves. After 4 years on this site, tho, I am not into stress-less anymore. Want something that makes me think, the raises my heartbeat, that challenges my 60 yo brain. This did not do it for me. PLUS the scrolling or not scrolling is so bad on my stomach, I wish whoever came up with this idea would take it off the table. Don't know anyone who likes it.

As for BFG - well, I've always found it feast or famine. The last two months were so full of great games, I'm still working on them. I am personally waiting for the RE of the CE's that have come out - but it's been an awful long wait for those, it seems.

I do agree that the new players on this site will enjoy this game for its graphics and ease of playing, whether you want to call it a Hog or and I Hog. Variety is the spice of life, and not for us to judge others for their opinions on what is great for them.

Not a buy for me; still waiting for something special. But all who enjoyed the trial, happy gaming.

As always,

cg

posted in Drawn: Dark Flight ® on Oct 1, 10 7:45 PM
To CLASSICALJAZZ: I'm sorry I can't be any help on the length of the game, but there is a walkthrough available, so maybe you could try loking that over. I must say it amazes me that some fishies say they finsished a game in less than 2 hours - and then there's me. I've been at this for over 4 years now, and I have NEVER finished any game in less than 2 hours. So, as far as those comments go, I always take them with a grain of salt.

You might try the posts on the collectors edtion as there are bound to be lots more, and hopefully on the length of the game. I think the only differences in the classical and regular verison seem to be you get the wallpaper, you may get the ability to check out the "strategy guide" without leaving the game, and I've heard some have an extra chapter to play. Other than that, they seem basically the same.

Good luck in your quest for an answer!

Peace,
cg

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator