Posts created by desktopgaming

posted in Magicville: Art of Magic on Jun 14, 10 1:31 PM
Sioux

The access violation thing was fixed in an update several weeks ago. You can fix it by uninstalling the game with game manager, then redownload the game to get the latest version.

Dave
DesktopGaming

posted in Magicville: Art of Magic on Jun 13, 10 12:21 PM
Thanks for the nice comments, Haggisperson! Until the update appears, before playing in Time Trial mode, make sure you attempt at least one level in adventure mode (doesn't matter if you fail). This will avoid the problem of your inventory disappearing.

Slightly off-topic - Are you Scottish? I love traditional scottish haggis with taties and 'neeps! - not the imitation stuff they sell in English supermarkets. I am English, but for a long time, Scotland was my "escape" from it all.

Dave
DesktopGaming

posted in Magicville: Art of Magic on Jun 11, 10 7:43 AM
Yep, I know what causes it now. Its a pretty obscure bug which is why so few people have been affected by it (and why I missed it in the first place).

Still working on the update - I think I can make it so you won't have to start from the beginning after all.....

posted in Magicville: Art of Magic on Jun 11, 10 5:43 AM
Hi Jules!

I only became aware of this problem in the last couple of days - working on a fix right now.

More soon

Dave
DesktopGaming

posted in Magicville: Art of Magic on Jun 10, 10 6:23 AM
Hi Chris

I'm the programmer for Magicville: Art of Magic. Sorry for the delay in replying.

As you're likely aware, by the time you reach Whitehaven you should have a lot more items than a bit of Devil's Ivy! Specifically for you, you need to give a ragwort plant to the alchemist which, as you've said, you don't have. As a result of the correct item not being there, the skip button won't function, either.

There is good news, and not so good news.

The good news is that I've identified a problem whereby your inventory items can get erased, and I'm working on a fix for that right now.

The not so good news is that once you've installed the update, you would have to start over. The silver lining to that particular cloud, is that you can use the skip buttons to quickly bypass all the minigames so it shouldn't take you too long to get back to Whitehaven.

As I said, I'm working on an update right now - there will be a further announcement when the update is available for download.

Dave
DesktopGaming

posted in Magicville: Art of Magic on Jun 8, 10 12:22 PM
Oh hello!

Presumably you're talking about the Basilisk?

SPOILER(ish!):

Rather than giving you a direct solution I'll point you in the direction of a huge clue, which appears in the scene title at the top of the screen; "All creatures great and small". Clicking the hint button, Tiana offers a further clue; "Tiny creatures often have the greatest of powers."

Its clear that you should attack the basilisk with something..... but what? Are you carrying any small creatures?

Dave
DesktopGaming

posted in Magicville: Art of Magic on Jun 6, 10 1:25 PM
Hi John

I don't know the ins and out of the game manager so I'll leave that for somebody who knows to answer. However one thing's for sure - you should be carrying more than two items by the time you reach Amin's house (including a yellow flower) so I'd suggest that something, somehow, has corrupted your saved game and from the two items you have, its happened between Amin's house and the four levels prior to it.

Unfortunately it isn't possible to recover that type of data so your only course of action would be to restart. Before you do, click on "credits" from the game menu and check which version you have - if it isn't 1.05.3 then you should upgrade as the latest revision has a skip button as an added feature plus some minor bug fixes and suchlike. The skip button will at least allow you to fairly quickly get back to where you were.

Dave
DesktopGaming

posted in Magicville: Art of Magic on Jun 6, 10 12:57 PM
Thanks for the nice comments.

Regarding the volume - during the game, click on the X to close the window or press ESC - this will bring up the game menu (and pause the game) where you can independently adjust the volume of the music and sound effects. So you can turn the sound effects low or even completely off, and still have the music playing.

You can also change the volume from the main game menu (click "options").

Dave
DesktopGaming

posted in Magicville: Art of Magic on Jun 3, 10 12:27 PM
Hi Brech

An update that fixes the "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION" problem has been around for a while now. You need to uninstall, then download the new version.

Check out the thread titled "New version available for Magicville: Art of Magic" for more info!

posted in Magicville: Art of Magic on Jun 2, 10 7:34 AM
Poutoule,

You first need to click an action button ("Use", in this case). Then click on the wooden cog. Finally click where you want to use it.

posted in Magicville: Art of Magic on May 31, 10 1:31 PM
Tough level that, and you're quite close to the end!

Its a traditional puzzle with equally traditional solutions. To that end, I'd recommend doing an internet search for "peg solitaire solution". There are some very good ones which give you a step-by-step answer (some even tell you how to finish with the final marble left in the centre of the board, but Magicville doesn't expect you to do that!)

Good luck!

Dave
DesktopGaming

posted in Magicville: Art of Magic on May 30, 10 3:19 PM
Which part of Alder Road North? There are four levels on that road and three of them are match three levels.

Generally speaking its always handy to carry several spells "just in case". The best general-purpose spell is the Light Spell which you cast by clicking twice on the game area in a horizontal or vertical line - all tiles between get removed. This is particularly useful on some of the levels which have whole lines of chained/enchanted tiles. Its also useful to carry at least one Shuffle Spell - the tiles do get shuffled automatically when there are no moves left, but you can waste a fair chunk of time in doing that.

Another general tip - its usually more effective if you start making matches at the top of the board and concentrate on one area at a time, rather than making random matches all over the place. The exception is when there are chained tiles - in that case try to get rid of the chains first whether that's by way of making matches, using spells, or whatever.

Hope this helps!

Dave
DesktopGaming

posted in Magicville: Art of Magic on May 29, 10 1:55 PM
Hi

Sounds like you've done pretty well without a skip button. The square puzzle is quite tricky - you need to work on getting the corners cleared first and keep in mind from the very start that you should never (unless its absolutely unavoidable) leave one peg by itself - always try to keep the remaining pegs close together and in pairs (a row of three is almost as bad, as it will almost always lead to one on its own!). On that particular puzzle its easiest to work on the corners first.

If you weren't aware (which I don't think you are) - there was a game update released last week which adds a Skip button to all mini-games. You can find out which version you have by going into the Credits screen from the front menu - the version is shown in the bottom right corner. If you have anything less than 1.05.3 then you should update your version. Instructions for updating are to be found at the top of the Magicville forum - you won't lose your saved game in doing this.

Hope this helps!

Dave
DesktopGaming

posted in Magicville: Art of Magic on May 26, 10 12:12 AM
There is a skip button at the bottom-right corner in every minigame - this was added via an update a couple of days ago. If you don't have the skip button you will need to upgrade.

Check the "update" thread in this forum for further instructions.

posted in Magicville: Art of Magic on May 25, 10 8:29 AM
Good stuff!

I've just moved house and haven't had internet access for almost a week so I was kind of wondering how you were all getting along with the update. I'm glad everything's working properly now.

Dave
DesktopGaming

posted in Magicville: Art of Magic on May 25, 10 6:58 AM
I click on them and the wizard appears and says something about a wooden handle
The wizard actually says "I need to open the gate so that I can leave the town, but something is missing..." - he makes no mention of a wooden handle.

SPOILER:
Use the wooden cog on the spindle.

1. Click "Use"
2. Click "Wooden Cog" (in your inventory)
3. Click on the spindle (the one with the mark on the end)

Also there is not a way to exit the game without going CTRL,ALT, DELETE.
There are two ways.
1. Click on the X at the top right of the screen, OR
2. Press ESC.

Dave
DesktopGaming

posted in Magicville: Art of Magic on May 25, 10 6:43 AM
suzette72 wrote:Um, maybe I downloaded a later version than other people did, but my version does have a "skip" option on every minigame. It is in the lower right corner. I have used it twice now. It is kinda funky, a little bit of all kinds of games, but I am really liking it. It's been a really slow year for good match threes, and I think this is one of the best.
Thanks for the comments. A skip feature was added following a number of requests for it on the forums. So anybody who downloaded the game on release day will need to download the update to get the new features.

Dave
DesktopGaming

posted in Magicville: Art of Magic on May 25, 10 6:35 AM
Yay!

See? We *do* listen!

Dave
DesktopGaming

posted in Magicville: Art of Magic on May 17, 10 8:53 AM
Hi Leslie - working on it!!

Dave
DesktopGaming

Error on line 40, column 25 in wanda/user_posts_show.ftl topics.get(post.topicId) is undefined. It cannot be assigned to topic The problematic instruction: ---------- ==> assignment: topic=topics.get(post.topicId) [on line 40, column 25 in wanda/user_posts_show.ftl] ---------- Java backtrace for programmers: ---------- freemarker.core.InvalidReferenceException: Error on line 40, column 25 in wanda/user_posts_show.ftl topics.get(post.topicId) is undefined. It cannot be assigned to topic at freemarker.core.Assignment.accept(Assignment.java:111) at freemarker.core.Environment.visit(Environment.java:209) at freemarker.core.MixedContent.accept(MixedContent.java:92) at freemarker.core.Environment.visit(Environment.java:209) at freemarker.core.IteratorBlock$Context.runLoop(IteratorBlock.java:167) at freemarker.core.Environment.visit(Environment.java:416) at freemarker.core.IteratorBlock.accept(IteratorBlock.java:102) at freemarker.core.Environment.visit(Environment.java:209) at freemarker.core.MixedContent.accept(MixedContent.java:92) at freemarker.core.Environment.visit(Environment.java:209) at freemarker.core.IfBlock.accept(IfBlock.java:82) at freemarker.core.Environment.visit(Environment.java:209) at freemarker.core.MixedContent.accept(MixedContent.java:92) at freemarker.core.Environment.visit(Environment.java:209) at freemarker.core.Environment.process(Environment.java:189) at freemarker.template.Template.process(Template.java:237) at net.jforum.JForum.processCommand(JForum.java:334) at net.jforum.JForum.service(JForum.java:287) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:728) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:305) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210) at net.jforum.util.legacy.clickstream.ClickstreamFilter.doFilter(ClickstreamFilter.java:59) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:222) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:123) at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:472) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:171) at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:99) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:118) at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:407) at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1004) at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:589) at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$SocketWithOptionsProcessor.run(AprEndpoint.java:1780) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)