Posts created by NIMHURCHU

posted in Behind the Reflection 2: Witch's Revenge on Mar 31, 13 8:16 PM
This was an excellent deal at $2.99, for me. With the mediocre star review, I didn't expect too much out of this game, but I needed the punch to fill my card. I was surprised to find that I absolutely loved this game!

There is no option for mode of play. This is not a game for those who despise sparkles, as they are throughout the game. Also, in the beginning , there are a lot of arrows. It seems like a tutorial, and the arrows did disappear somewhere in my second half hour of gameplay. ( I played for approximately 7 hours). The sparkles did not bother me at all, as I normally play in casual mode, and there are always sparkles.

There are no voiceovers.

There is no map. I found it unnecessary, and I am easily disoriented.

There is a journal. I found it helpful in placing found items.

HOGS: There are approximately -
24 "find items on a list" HOS.
5 "find x number of y" e.g 16 keys.
64 "rings" HOS i.e. must find between 4 to 8 items to place in rings to get a needed item.

Hints: The hint button fills in about 30 secs. The hint does work outside of HOS. Several times throughout the game, I found the hint button to be unhelpful. It would send me to an area, I would click again to get some indication of what I was supposed to do, and it would just send me back out. However, by simply exploring every possible area, and consulting the journal, I managed to quickly move on.

Puzzles: There are approximately 38 puzzles. I found most of the puzzles to be of easy to medium difficulty. Some were simply tedious and time consuming. Puzzles can be skipped in 45 secs.

There are approximately 16 tasks to complete in which one must acquire 4 or 5 pieces of an object to progress. e.g. 4 pieces of a doll. The HOS and puzzles will provide those pieces.

Note: There are pentagrams. There is a chapter that some may find gruesome. Highlight for details - There is a chapter dealing with the torture and burning of witches at the stake, but there is no graphic video. One "ring" HOS requires searching for human organs and the following puzzle requires placing these organs in the torso.

Overall, this game moved along quickly and smoothly, with so many varying types of HOS and puzzles. It was a bargain for me, but do try the demo!

posted in Phenomenon: City of Cyan on Mar 29, 13 1:29 PM
This is a fantastic deal at $2.99.

There are 2 modes of play: Casual and expert. There are no sparkles in Expert mode. There are sparkles indicating puzzles and HOS in casual mode. You can change mode of play mid-game.

There are voiceovers throughout the game. The dialogue offers details of what needs to be done next and where items can be found. Dialogue can be skipped.

There is a journal.

There is a map. It will not help to transport you from scene to scene. The map is used a couple of times to get inventory items.

Strategy guide is included and is on the left bottom corner. I was almost finished with the game before I realized that it was included. Normally, clicking on SG in a SE game just links you to a purchase page for the SG, so I didn't bother to check early in the game.

Task button is on the lower right corner, and gives a list of tasks.

HOS: I found the HOS to be very interesting. Most of the HOS had HOS within them i.e. when you clicked on an item in a HOS, it opened up a different HOS.

There are approximately: 8 "find items on a list" HOS.
3 pictorial HOS.
5 silhouette HOS.
4 "find x number of y" e.g. 11 pieces for a game.
1 "find pairs"

Hints: Refill in 1 min in casual mode and 3 mins in expert mode. Hints work outside of HOS. Hints do not deplete when you are just pointed in the right direction.

Puzzles: There are approximately 16 puzzles. Some were quite unique and all were rather simple and enjoyable, for me. Some puzzles have several parts to solve. They can be skipped in 1 min in casual mode and 3 mins in expert mode.

Overall, I was very pleased with this game. There was a nice balance between the number of puzzles and HOS. There was plenty of interaction throughout. The story was interesting, but ended rather abruptly. Spoiler: Highlight to read - There was no satisfactory conclusion to her search for her mother. I thought that there was a glitch in the game when it suddenly went back to the beginning. Perhaps there will be a sequel. Although the game was quite short (3 hrs in casual mode, for me), it was high quality and very entertaining. I highly recommend this game.

posted in Nancy Drew: Secret of Shadow Ranch on Mar 25, 13 4:57 AM
The game has been "installing" for hours and is still stuck at 99%. I have tried clicking on play to try to download the trial version again, but to no avail. Mmmmm.....I'm stumped and it's too early yet for live chat. Any suggestions?

posted in Small Town Terrors: Livingston on Mar 24, 13 5:15 PM
contd:

Overall, I really enjoyed 5 hours of gameplay in casual mode. I didn't like that each chapter had a monochromatic hue ( Chapter 1 was red, 2 was blue, 3 was green and 4 was purple). I found that difficult on my eyes, so I had to take several breaks in the game. Also, I really disliked the bright, white screen that precedes and follows each cut scene. The story was intriguing and had a satisfactory ending, but there were some unexplored aspects to the story and a definite hint at a sequel in the final cut scene. This is not my favourite game, but worth the $2.99, in my opinion.

posted in Small Town Terrors: Livingston on Mar 24, 13 5:12 PM
I was undecided all throughout the trial period, but I found the story intriguing and I was in the middle of an enjoyable puzzle when my trial ended, so I just had to purchase. I feel that this game is worth the $2.99.

There are no voiceovers.

There is no journal, but you can toggle between inventory and documents on the lower left corner to read the documents which add detail to the story.

There is a map, but it is not interactive and I found it useless. It provides an aerial view, with your current location, but does not name the tops of the buildings or indicate areas to be explored. However, I did not have too much trouble navigating and got lost only once.

There are 2 modes of play: Casual and Expert. There are no sparkles in expert mode.
HOS: There are approximately 14 HOS. Most of the objects were clear, although I did find the monochromatic hues a little bothersome.

Misclick penalty: I found the misclick penalty in expert mode to be extremely annoying. After your second misclick, you lose control of the cursor for about 12 seconds. It just spins in a small circle. I didn't notice a misclick penalty in casual mode.

Hints: Recharge in approximately 90 secs in casual mode and 3 mins in expert mode. Hints do work outside of HOS, but are not helpful in navigating.

The task bar allows you to determine the amount of help that you would like. When you click on the task bar, you get a general outline of tasks to be performed. If you click on those tasks, you receive detailed information on where objects are located and where they should be used.

Puzzles: There are 17 puzzles. I found most to be fairly easy, some simply time consuming, and I had to consult the waltkthrough for help in one of the puzzles. They can be skipped in 90 secs in casual mode and 3 mins in expert mode.

Throughout the game, you will collect health bars to increase your health in order to perform certain tasks.

posted in Easter Eggztravaganza on Mar 23, 13 3:40 PM
After completing the one hour demo, I was still undecided regarding whether or not to purchase this game. I read every review on the BFG site. I decided to purchase and am pleased with the game.

Options include fullscreen, music and sounds control and mute all sounds.

There are 2 modes of play: Casual and Challenge. The difference that I noticed between them is the time for the hint and skip button to recharge. See below.

HOS: There are approximately 23 HOS. Most were "find items on a list". There were 2 "find x number of y". A magnifying glass indicates opening up a drawer, window etc. to find an object. The scenes are bright and colourful, but I found many to be very cluttered. Some of the objects are tiny and very well blended in to the scenes. I found myself using the hint button a few times on each scene.

Hints: Recharge in approximately 30 secs in casual mode and 1 min in challenge mode.

Puzzles: There are approximately 22 puzzles. They are very simple, but fun. Puzzles can be skipped in approximately 30 secs in casual mode and a few second over a minute in challenge mode. (Sorry, I kept getting different times with anywhere from 5 secs over to 15 secs over).

Collectibles: There are bunnies, eggs and Easter Bunny to collect in every HOS scene. Collecting these items will contribute to a game score. I just wish that the game would tell you how many of each are in the total. I collected 132 eggs, 17 Easter Bunnies and 53 bunnies in my first time through the game.

Misclick penalty: This is my biggest complaint about the game. This is a great game for young children, but the misclick penalty is too severe. In challenge mode, the cursor gets "wobbly" at the second misclick. In casual mode, it gets "wobbly" on the 7th misclick.

Overall, I had a fun 2 hours playing this game. My 7yr old son is delighted with it, but he has to wait because we now have a real Easter egg hunt to attend. There is no adventure to this, but most of the HOS are followed by a simple puzzle to break the monotony. The story is simple and cheery.....no mystery involved. This is a light hearted, bright game for the young or young at heart. I feel that I am getting a bargain because I enjoyed playing it, and will play it again to increase my score. Also, it's simple enough for my 7 yr old and 5 yr old to play...with a little help from Mommy.

posted in Ghost Towns: The Cats of Ulthar on Mar 22, 13 10:10 PM
JoyWales and Euskalduna I hope that you are both enjoying the game. I am trying to sneak some time to finish off the hard mode version that I began this morning. The one thing that I do notice now is that the objects in the HOS are exactly the same. There was a 6 month gap between my casual mode and advanced mode gameplay, so I didn't notice. However, I am still having fun with this game.

posted in Ghost Towns: The Cats of Ulthar on Mar 22, 13 4:04 AM
This is a great deal at $2.99. The cutscenes are blurry, but graphics in the game are clear and beautifully drawn.

There are no voiceovers.

There is a journal, with the story and clues.

There is no map, but the hint will direct you in casual and advanced mode.

There are 3 modes of play: Casual, advanced and hard. There are sparkles indicating HOS and areas of interest in casual and advanced mode. There are no sparkles in hard mode ( the cursor changes to a magnifying glass when you hover over areas of interest or HOS). Also, there is no hint or skip button in hard mode.

HOS: There are approximately 24 HOS. They are not interactive.

Hints: Refill in 1 min. in casual mode and 2 mins in advanced mode. Hints work outside of HOS. There are no hints in hard mode.

Puzzles: There are approximately 22 simple puzzles. They can be skipped in approx. 1 min. in casual mode and 2 mins in advanced mode. There is no skip button in hard mode.

There are spiders. Possible spoiler - highlight to read. When you click on a box in the upstairs hallway of the house, spiders scurry everywhere.

There are no demons.

There are 24 cats to collect.

Overall, I highly recommend this game. There were plenty of fun interactions and a wonderful balance between puzzles and HOS. There is a lot of trekking back and forth, so an interactive map would have been helpful. I found the story interesting and there was not too much dialogue to read. I have played the entire game in both casual and advanced modes. I played the one chapter in hard mode. The game was a nice length and took me about 3 hours to complete the second time around.

posted in Pahelika: Revelations on Mar 21, 13 5:44 PM
I regret spending the $2.99 on this game. The cut scene graphics are dreadful, and the voiceover in the cutscenes gets stuck and the same phrase is repeated over and over. This occurred in the 3 cutscenes that I viewed. I turned down the volume, and read the text instead. The text was blurry, but I managed to read it. However, I usually do not let poor cutscene graphics deter me, as long as the gameplay graphics are of good quality.

The game graphics are nicely drawn, and I found the adventure quite intriguing. I reached the end of Chapter 2 when the trial ended, and I was curious as to how the story would progress. After purchasing the game, I played Chapter 3. Possible spoiler: Highlight to read. (Chapter 3, in my opinion, was a dull, wasteful chapter. It contained only subjective questions to be answered. No fun interactions, and no puzzles. )
The game shut down on me 4 times in Chapter 4, and each time I had to repeat the same mundane actions. Eventually, I gave up and decided that it wasn't worth the aggravation. This game, for me, is a waste of $2.99. At this point, I don't think I'd even bother trying to play it for free. I rarely feel that way about games, but it is just so frustrating to have your computer shut down so many times and replay the same scene.

For those who like adventure games, this might be fun. There are no HOS, and I only came across 2 "puzzles". There were fun interactions in the first 2 chapters. I was hoping for a better game, and perhaps it improves in the remaining chapters, but I can't get past Chapter 4, due to technical problems. Unfortunately, I am too late for live chat. So, I am giving up until tomorrow. I do not recommend this game based upon my experiences.

posted in Flower of Immortality on Mar 20, 13 10:44 AM
This is a mediocre game, but worth the $2.99, for me. I was hesitant when I read many of the reviews, but after playing the entire game, it seems that several of the complaints were corrected since last year's reviews. The hint in casual mode refilled rather quickly (approx. 30 secs), I did not notice many misidentified objects (no more than usual ), and I had no trouble understanding the dialogue. I don't mind a few grammatical/syntax errors.

There are 2 modes of play: Casual and expert. You can switch between modes mid game. There are no sparkles in expert mode, and only a few "twinkles" in casual mode.

There is a journal.

There is no map, but the hint button will point you in the right direction. The hint button does not deplete in this instance.

HOS: There are approx. 16 HOS. In each scene, you have at least one green item to find, which requires interaction. If you find 3 items rapidly, you get a "bonus"? I must have missed something because I really don't know what the bonus was. All that I noticed is that there were 4 smaller spheres by the hint button. Each one filled after getting the 3 items, but that was it. Once you find the inventory items (2 blue items), you can skip the rest of the HOS, by clicking on the skip button above the inventory bar. I used this feature with 3 of the HOS, just because I didn't feel like looking for the rest. I think that this is a fantastic feature!

Hints: Refill in approximately 30 secs in casual mode and 90 secs in expert mode. Hints do work outside of HOS and I found them to be extremely helpful. The hint shows you areas of interest, and if you need more help, it shows you which inventory item to be used in a particular area.

Puzzles: There are approximately 7 or 8 puzzles. Sorry....you do one of the puzzles twice, and I can't remember if I counted it twice. Puzzles can be skipped in approx. 1 min in casual mode and 90 secs in expert mode. I found some of the puzzles to be quite difficult, and skipped 3 of them after losing patience.

Overall, I was hoping for more of an improvement as the game progressed, but I had 4 hours of fun, regardless. The graphics in the cut scenes are grainy, but gameplay scenes are clear and nicely drawn. The story became more interesting, but ended abruptly. I will play this game again, as there was plenty of adventure and fun interaction.

posted in The Agency of Anomalies: Cinderstone Orphanage on Mar 16, 13 4:56 PM
This is such an excellent game, in my opinon. It is a steal at $2.99!

There are 2 modes of play: Regular and Advanced. There were sparkles in advanced mode.

There are voiceovers throughout. There are many characters with voiceovers and I thought that they were above average.

There is a journal with story and docs tabs.

There is no map. That is the only thing that I disliked about this game, as I got lost several times. The layout of scenes is elaborate, with many new areas opening throughout the game. However, you will often have to revisit areas that you encountered in the very beginning of the game, and I found that very difficult to navigate. Unfortunately the hint did not offer any direction.

HOS: There are 18 "find items on a list" HOS. There is some interaction. Scenes will be re-visited 2 or 3 times, but I was not bothered by this because I thought the artwork was beautiful and I had already forgotten where I had seen objects.
There are 8 "replace the objects" HOS. These were outstanding, with some interaction.

Hints: Recharge in approximately 14 secs in Regular Mode and 30 secs in Advanced mode. If you opt for extra help, the hint button does offer assistance in the form of the AAD, which will display an image of an object in your inventory and where it should be used. However, the hint will not help you with direction.

Puzzles: There were 20 puzzles. Some had from 2 to 5 parts/levels. Puzzles could be skipped in 2 mins in Regular and Advanced Mode.

Overall, I am so delighted with this game! I played for approximately 5 hours in regular mode. I played one chapter in advanced mode, and plan to continue on this evening. Hope that I remember the layout, and don't get so lost. The story held my attention, and was wonderfully fluid with a satisfactory conclusion. So often, when I finish games, I ask myself, "What was that all about?". However, not in this case. It was a nice, engaging story, for me. Although the music was repetitive, I found it beautifully suited to the story and unobtrusive. Normally, I mute the sound in games after the first few scenes, but I kept it going throughout this game, as I truly enjoyed the different voiceovers. I would highly recommend this game!

posted in Nightfall Mysteries: Black Heart on Mar 15, 13 10:58 AM
This is a good deal at $2.99, for me. There are plenty of HOS, puzzles, interactive tasks and exploring.

Options include volume, sound and dialogue controls, choice of cursor size, fullscreen, widescreen, and difficulty.

There are 3 modes of play: Casual, Advanced and Extreme. There are sparkles only for HOS in casual and advanced mode. There are no sparkles for HOS in Extreme mode. You can switch mode of play during the game

There are voiceovers.

There is a journal with story and clues.

There are 15 tapes to collect. Tapes add details to the story. Tape recorder and tapes that you locate are in the journal.

There is a map, located in the journal. It is not interactive.

HOS:
There are approximately 30 "find items on a list" interactive HOS.

Hints: Recharge in approximately 15 secs in casual mode and 45 secs in advanced mode. There are no hints in Extreme mode. Hints did work outside of HOS, but were minimally helpful. If you were not in an area in which a task could be performed, you get "there is nothing to do here."

Puzzles: There are approximately 15 puzzles. They can be skipped in 45 secs in casual mode, 2 mins 15 secs in advanced mode. Puzzles cannot be skipped in extreme mode.

Note: There are spiders. Also, there is a demonic theme.

Overall, I am satisfied with 6 hours of fun gameplay. The cutscenes are blurry, but the game scenes are fine. Graphics are not as crisp as some of my favourite games, but they're not the worst in my collection. The game was well worth the $2.99, for me. I would definitely recommend trying, at least.

posted in Between the Worlds II: The Pyramid on Mar 14, 13 11:12 AM
This game is an excellent game! I almost did not download it when I saw the poor star ratings, but am so delighted that I did. Although short, it was well worth the $2.99.

Options include music and ambient sound controls, mode of play, system/custom cursor, and fullscreen.

There are 3 modes of play: Easy, Normal and Hard.

There are no voiceovers.

There is a journal, with useful notes and clues.

There is no map, but it is unnecessary.

Puzzles: There are approximately 11 puzzles. Clicking on the detective badge provides some instruction on solving puzzles. The detective will offer to solve the puzzle for you in approximately 1 min 30 secs in easy mode, 2 mins in normal mode, and 5 mins in hard mode.

HOS: There are approximately 10 "find items on a list" HOS. There are 15 items to be found per scene. The hidden object scenes are absolutely gorgeous and unique. There are approximately 3 "find x number of y " scenes, e.g. 16 pages.
Some objects are small and well hidden, but I only needed the hint once or twice per scene.

Hints: There is a twofold hint system. Clicking on the detective badge will give you clues on where to go or what needs to be done.
Clicking on the vial with yellow liquid to the right of the badge will point out the location of objects. That hint vial will refill in approximately 1 min 30 secs in easy mode, 2 mins in normal mode and 5 mins in hard mode.

As so many reviews have mentioned, this is a game that requires patience, especially in the beginning. The random click penalty is absurd in the beginning, and really should have been corrected where the "adventure" part of the game is imperative. However, if you can persevere to the point where you get to the HOS, the game improves drastically, in my opinion.
Normally, I turn the volume off in games with no voiceovers, but I found the music and ambient sounds to be very soothing and delightful.
The game is short, taking me about 2 hours 40 mins in normal mode, with skipping 2 puzzles. Also, the ending is very abrupt and disappointing, leaving plenty of unsolved mysteries for a sequel.
Overall, I recommend giving this game the full hour trial. I exited and came back to the game 4 times before getting to the point of the HOS. I am so delighted that I persevered. Excellent DD! I'm going back to play again in hard mode.

posted in Pahelika: Secret Legends on Mar 13, 13 8:48 PM
The following review is based on completing 4 out of 6 challenges. The game has shut down my computer 8 times since I purchased. After re-booting my computer, many times, the game is now frozen, and I have to turn the power off to my computer to get out of the game. The computer shuts down as I try to uninstall.

There is no choice on mode of play, and there are lots of sparkles indicating areas of interest.

There are voiceovers.

There are no hints.

There are no HOS.

There is no journal.

There is no map.

There is no skip for puzzles, and there are no instructions on puzzles.

Puzzles: In 4 out of the 6 challenges, I came across 18 puzzles. The puzzles were very repetitive. There were 4 jigsaw puzzles, 4 slider puzzles, 1 memory/matching game, 1 click on buttons to turn all a certain colour, and 8 fill in the sequence/lock type puzzles with codes nearby.

Items in inventory are not identified, and are often quite small and obscure, so you don't know what it is that you have to work with. This makes it difficult at times, as you try to determine what is needed to interact with the environment.

The story is repetitive, and uninteresting. However, I have not been able to complete the game, so maybe it is all explained and resolved in the end.

Overall, I cannot recommend the game by my experience. However, I would recommend trying. If you don't like HOS, you'll be happy. With sparkles everywhere, it's a fairly easy adventure if you are a novice, as I am, to adventure type games with no hints or instructions. There is a situation where organized religions are addressed, and some may take exception. However, I did not come across any demonic themes.

posted in Pahelika: Secret Legends on Mar 13, 13 7:57 PM
The game shut my computer down once in the trial, but that happens in almost every trial, so I take it as "normal". However, after I purchased the game, my computer has shut down 8 times while playing. Even with re-booting my computer, the game is now completely frozen. I have to turn off power to the computer just to get out of the game. I have tried to uninstall, but again, my computer shut down. Now, game manager won't even open. I'm too late for live chat. :-( I really want to get through this game. It is so frustrating to have game play interrupted. It is particularly annoying in a game such as this, as there is no direction and I don't want to forget where I am at, and especially do not want to start over.

posted in Natural Threat: Ominous Shores on Mar 9, 13 12:25 PM
This is a good deal at $2.99, with plenty of puzzles, HOS and interactions.

There are 2 modes of play: Casual and expert. There are sparkles indicating HOS in expert mode.

There are no voiceovers.

There is no map. An interactive map would have been very useful, especially in the last chapter as there was so much running back and forth. Often, you had to travel 11 scenes just to pick up one item; then , click back another 11 scenes to use it, then back another 11 scenes for one more item...etc. It was extremely tedious and frustrating. The hint does provide direction if you get lost.

HOS: There are approximately: 17 "find items on a list" HOS.
5 "find x number of y", e.g. 20 butterflies.

Hints:
Recharge in approx. 1 min in casual mode and 2 mins in expert mode. Hints work outside of HOS.

Puzzles: There are approximately 32 puzzles. Puzzles were quite simple and straight forward, but some were time consuming. Puzzles can be skipped in approximately 1 min in casual mode and 2 mins in expert.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this game...until the final chapter. The first four chapters flowed beautifully with wonderful balance between interactive tasks, HOS and puzzles to ward off monotony. The final chapter, with mostly trekking back and forth for one item at a time just left me feeling annoyed. I thought that the ending was abrupt, with an option for a sequel in there.

Nontheless, I still recommend this game at $2.99. I will probably play it again in the future, but I will not try to get through the final chapter in one sitting.

ETA: The videos/cut scenes are important to watch, as they give clues to the location of items needed.
This is a very long game. It took me almost 6 hours to finish in casual mode.

posted in Aaron Crane: Paintings Come Alive on Mar 7, 13 7:42 PM
I have regretted purchasing this $2.99 game. It is such a short game at 3 hours for me.....and I got lost!!!!

There is only one mode of play.

There are no voiceovers.

There is no journal.

There is no map.

There are no HOS.

There are approx. 27 puzzles. The puzzles are mostly extremely simple. Puzz;es can be skipped in approximately 1 minute.

Hint: recharges in about1 minute, but gives generic hints, such as "I'm sure I've seen that before.....".
The hint was absolutely useless throughout the game.

posted in Film Fatale: Lights, Camera, Madness! on Mar 6, 13 4:34 PM
This was a quite enjoyable game, and a fair deal at $2.99.

Options include music, sound and voice controls, brightness, mouse speed, custom cursor, fullscreen and widescreen settings.

There are 2 modes of play: regular and expert. You can change modes during the game. There are still sparkles in expert mode.

There are voiceovers throughout.

There is a map available after acquiring a certain item, and you can use the map to transport to different available locations.

HOS: There are 14 HOS. They are not interactive.

Hint: Refills in 1 min 45 secs in regular mode and 3 mins in expert mode. The hint button works outside of HOS. However, for me, after the end of scene 2 the hint button no longer worked in the HOS.

Puzzles: There are 9 puzzles. They can be skipped in 2 mins in regular mode and 4 mins in expert mode.

Note: For those who don't like creepy crawlies, you must find some in two of the HOS.

The game is quite short. Time played is listed once you have finished the game. I played for 2 hrs 38 mins, without skipping cutscenes, dialogue or puzzles.

Overall, this was a fun game, and I would recommend to demo, at least. It was different to many of my other games, so it was worth $2.99, for me.

posted in Big City Adventure: London Story on Mar 5, 13 6:27 PM
Hi Misty,
I've been checking in during the day for Cleo's usual DD thread and I have missed it also. Hope that all is well for you, Cleo.

I almost did not download this game, as I have BCA: San Francisco, and that's enough of the straight HOS for me. However, when I noticed that this was different from the BCA: London Classic, I just had to try. I was delightfully surprised! This is a great deal at $2.99.

There is no option for mode of play, but when you begin the game, you can choose to enable hints. This will also enable sparkles. During the game, you can switch back and forth as you please between hints enabled and disabled.

There are voiceovers throughout>

There is a journal with story and clues. You must collect postcards and photographs to add to your journal.

There is an interactive map. Your current location, areas with tasks to be completed and unexplored areas are indicated. You can travel quickly between scenes via the map.

HOS: There are approximately 35 HOS.

Hints:
You will always have 1 hint, and the ability to earn extra hints in the form of a gold hint coin at every scene. These extra hints accumulate and you can use them at any time, without waiting for recharge. Once you use your last hint, you must wait approximately 30 seconds for the hint button to recharge.

Puzzles: There are approximately 23 puzzles. Puzzles can be skipped in about 3 mins 30 secs. However, a 30 min penalty will be added to your total game time for every puzzle that you skip.

When you have completed the game, you will receive a score for time taken to complete the game, and percentage of the journal completed.

Overall, this was a delightful game, with plenty of interaction, voiceovers throughout, and a nice balance between HOS and puzzles. The only annoyance is the addition of 30 mins to your time for each puzzle skipped. I usually allow only 10 mins per puzzle. If I can't figure it out by then, or if there are simply too many tedious steps, I just move along. Other than that, a great game and deal at $2.99.

posted in Witches' Legacy: The Charleston Curse on Mar 3, 13 4:08 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed this game, and believe it to be a fantastic deal at $2.99..

There are 2 modes of play: regular and expert.

There are voiceovers and live actors.

There is a journal with story and clues. As you move throughout the game, you will collect pieces of journal pages. When a page is complete, an animated girl waves at you from the journal cover to indicate that a new page is available. When you open the journal, a short cartoon video plays on the page to update the story and provide clues.

If you hover over the "goals" bar that is above the journal, you will be given a current task.

There is no map. However, the hint button does indicate directions that you need to go and does not deplete after doing so.

HOS: There are approximately 23 iHOS.

Hints: Recharge in about 1 min in regular mode, and 2 mins in expert mode. Hints work outside of HOS.

Puzzles: There are approximately 14 puzzles. Puzzles can be skipped in 1 min in regular mode and 2 mins in expert mode.

Once I began this game, I couldn't stop playing. There is lots of running about, so I was thankful for the hint to help me when I got lost. There are a lot of interactions throughout. I played for 4 hours in regular mode. I played one chapter in expert mode, and items in the HOS were exactly the same. So, I will wait a month or so and replay in expert mode. I would highly recommend this game.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator