Posts created by onthegreen

posted in Fairway Solitaire on Jan 9, 14 2:57 AM
To preface my post, let me explain that I have been a loyal daily Fairway Solitaire player for 18 months now, playing every day, even managing to complete my daily courses when I had extreme limits on my phone battery during extended blackouts and camping trips. I absolutely loved playing Fairway Solitaire - - it used to be the best mobile game ever.

However, I installed the 1.7.0 update on iOS yesterday and when I played the three 9-hole course today I found out what the update notes meant when they said:

"Tired of waiting for 6 holes to repurchase an iron - we got rid of the wait!"

It means that they got rid of an essential mechanic of the gameplay - - resource management. Now you can just "repurchase" your way through the game. In fact, with this update, Fairway Solitaire barely qualifies as a game anymore. It has become just another freemium money sucker.

Of course, this is not the only reason I am quitting Fairway Solitaire today, but rather the straw that broke the camel's back. As has been noted in several other threads here, the game has been descending into an unplayable state since July 2013. Previous updates since then have brought us such irritations as the "Placement of the '5 more cards button'" and the recent "Rattling Clubs" issue.

I suppose I can understand Big Fish' desire to increase the monetization of the game, but I find it sad that they have had to critically compromise players' enjoyment of this once fine game to do so. As I have mentioned in other threads, I would be willing to pay good money to be able to downgrade to version 1.4 of the game.

At any rate, I would like to thank the original game developers for the brilliant game design that made a simple card game into a most pleasant daily ritual for me for the past year and half. The original game mechanic, the sound design, and the whole McDivot cartoon theme was amazing!

Fare well.

posted in Fairway Solitaire on Jan 7, 14 4:30 AM
Aussiefish wrote:I used to love it, but golf is a game where cheats are not tolerated and I know a lot of players are beginning to feel cheated. Games are supposed to fun, a way to unwind and feel good, not to add extra stress.

Well said!

posted in Fairway Solitaire on Jan 3, 14 3:50 AM
Does anyone else find the new rattling clubs cue as bothersome as I do?

The delay before you are cued with the rattling clubs audio/visual cue is exceedingly short. Unlike a game such as Bejeweled where you get a cue/hint after 20 seconds, Fairway Solitaire's cue is after 2 seconds and then repeated and repeated.

I understand than the game designers must be having their feet held to the fire to increase monetization of this game, but I find it especially sad that this change impinges on the exemplary sound design of this app. After having played for 18+ months, I still find the music, sound effects, and vocal tracks to be very enjoyable - - that is no small feat in sound design, where it is much more common to have the soundtrack grating on your nerves after a much shorter time period.

Now, that infernal club rattling makes me want to turn off the sound and even has me considering giving up the game altogether. The club rattling even continues in the background during the mini games when you don't even have an option to use clubs!

I continue to be disappointed with the devolution of Fairway Solitaire since July 2013. It is very sad to see one of the finest game apps I have ever played, be slowly sabotaged by the increased hunger for monetization. In fact, I would pay good money to be able to downgrade this app to version 1.4 before all this foolishness began.

In short, my confidence in Fairway Solitaire has been severely rattled.

posted in Fairway Solitaire on Jan 2, 14 1:04 PM
Well, it finally happened.

I hit the "update all" button by accident and now have version 1.6.0.

As others have said, the interface design changes are maddening and only make sense in the context of increased monetization of this app. There is clearly no "listening to the feedback of users" as the update description noted.

If they really want to make $$$ at the expense of users' enjoyment of the game, perhaps Big Fish should change the "5 more cards" button to a "99¢ iTunes charge" button with no verification.

It wouldn't be all that much more infuriating.

posted in Fairway Solitaire on Dec 15, 13 4:53 AM
Akwaaba wrote:goop2000 wrote:
Press and hold daily icon for 10 seconds to cause the daily data to reload. Should work for you.

I saw the above recommendation on another thread, and it fixed the problem for me! Thanks, goop2000!

Great tip for manually reloading daily data in other circumstances too - - thanx Akwaaba!!!

posted in Fairway Solitaire on Dec 5, 13 11:01 AM
timeshock wrote:Normal you require the following on a 3 hole course:

Par 12: -4

As you note, previously a Par 12 course like Autumn Heights would have required a score of -4 to acquire 3 stars, regardless of whether Big Fish was offering bonus trophies.

The jump to -7 represents a significant inflation.

posted in Fairway Solitaire on Dec 4, 13 4:36 AM
On today's Autumn Heights daily course, I noticed that it requires you to "Shoot -7 or under to earn 3 stars on this course!"

This course is a 3 hole Par 5/3/4. Previously, this size of a course would have required you to shoot -5 to get 3 stars.

This seems to be Big Fish's latest attempt to simultaneously increase the monetization of Fairway Solitaire and to suck the fun out of it's many fans' daily habit.

Bravo.

posted in Fairway Solitaire on Nov 22, 13 8:27 PM
timeshock wrote:Why not upgrade? Because this new version worsen the position of the "End of Hole" button again. The new position is on the top of the screen, far away from the old position.
I am extremely disappointed about Big Fish.

Thank-you for the heads up, timeshock!

I read your warning before the update popped up today and was able to stop in time. The whole utility iron change sounds iffy too.

It's a shame that such a great game as Fairway Solitaire keeps getting downgraded with each update.

posted in Fairway Solitaire on Jul 23, 13 6:15 AM
I loaded the latest update this morning, which according to the version notes included fixes based on user feedback...

...and the "5 More Cards" button's position remains unchanged.

At least this confirms that it wasn't a mistake, but rather a consciously contrived plan to trick users out of their golf bucks.

Has Fairway Solitaire finally jumped the shark?

posted in Fairway Solitaire on Jul 14, 13 4:30 AM
Another morning of daily challenges, another wasted 4,000 golf bucks.

I don't even mind the cost so much - - the worst part is how it's thrown off the whole rhythm of playing Fairway Solitaire. Now instead of happily speeding through the pile at the end of a hole, I am anxiously slowing down for fear of making that same mistake again. It really sucks a lot of fun out of the game.

Even if they fix the game in an update or 3 or 4 months, I'm afraid many players will be broken by then.

posted in Fairway Solitaire on Jul 13, 13 7:13 AM
The new "5 More Cards" feature is great for the 6 hole daily challenges this weekend!

...or at least it would have been, if I hadn't wasted all my golf bucks on three accidental hits on that cursed button placement.

When it came to me actually wanting to pay the 2,000 GB, I didn't have enough left because of this aggravating design gaffe.

Instead of praising Fairway Solitaire and promoting it to all my friends like I've been doing for months and months, all of a sudden I've begun cursing it.

posted in Fairway Solitaire on Jul 11, 13 3:43 AM
Despite my best efforts to avoid it, I wasted several thousand more golf bucks on the new trick button placement in the past day, and I have to agree with Schik who wrote:

Schik wrote:Drive sales by having compelling content, not by having "traps" in the user interface.

I realize this sort of trickery is common in the freemium app business. It's the sort of thing I absolutely expect from a company like Gameloft, but it's just a bit of a shock to see it surface in such a previously fair game as Fairway Solitaire. As an analogy - - when you go to a carnival you expect to get ripped off, but this is like going to your grandma's house and find her stealing a five dollar bill out of your jacket pocket when you're not looking.

I noticed in the other thread on this topic (Warning: Do not upgrade the IOS version to 1.41) posted by timeshock, one of the moderators posted the following advice to players:

bfgBiwa wrote:While it might be confusing at first since players would be used to the button being in a specific spot, it might help ti simply pause a moment and make sure that you are hitting the one you would prefer to. This way little mishaps with additional cards that you don't want could be avoided in the future .

Part of the joy of playing Fairway Solitaire is the state of mind it encourages - - I referred to it as 'auto-pilot' earlier in the thread, but it's almost a zen state, where you are temporarily removed from all the stress of your daily life by this enjoyable little game. The enormous speed you can get up to tapping the cards is an expression of the thoroughness of this relaxation. Now, to have to "pause a moment and make sure that you are hitting the one you would prefer to" to avoid "mishaps" breaks that state of mind.

On the plus side, I was happy to see the unannounced fix for the 'Whack-A-Gopher' minigame. No matter how many golf bucks the game said that you had won, none were added to your total. I did not receive approximately 30,000 golf bucks through this error, and I'm sure many other regular players were short-changed as much or more. It is nice to finally see the awarded golf bucks credited to our accounts.

Once again, I still love the game, and consider it to be among the best ever designed game apps I have encountered, but I do hope that you will take into account the feedback you receive on this issue.

posted in Fairway Solitaire on Jul 10, 13 9:06 AM
I am a huge fan of Fairway Solitaire, and I'm sure I'm like many others who love the daily little ritual of playing the challenges.

I consider Fairway Solitaire to be the absolute best and fairest 'freemium' style app (I can't even remember if I initially paid 99¢ for it since it was so long ago). I have paid for most of the upgrades, but have never felt pressured to keep paying just to play.

I upgraded last night and found the daily challenges didn't load (not particularly concerning, as this seems to happen every two or three months, and they eventually load later in the day) - - so I went to play one of the regular courses on that beautiful new wide screen mode on my iPhone 5. And of course, I too got caught with the 2,000 Golf Bucks penalty like the OP.

When I play a game as frequently as I do this one, I'm practically on auto-pilot (which is part of what makes it such a relaxing little break from my day). So placing the button in that particular position is indeed bothersome - - it will definitely slow down my game and take me out of the moment.

However, I would like to give the designers of Fairway Solitaire the benefit of the doubt - - with the already exquisite game design, I don't believe they chose to do this willingly. Personally, I suspect they're under pressure from Big Fish Games to have it produce more profits - - otherwise the position of the two buttons could easily have been reversed, with the 'Buy 5 Cards' button appearing to the left and leaving the 'End Game' button in it's traditional position.

Nonetheless, if Fairway Solitaire is proving insufficiently profitable, I'm pretty sure I can get used to the inconvenience over time - - especially if the alternative is for Big Fish Games to pull the plug on the cost of producing daily challenges.

My highest commendations on producing this great app and best wishes to the design team for a great summer!

Sincerely,

onthegreen

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator