Posts created by TiddK

posted in Varmintz on Jan 9, 17 10:37 AM
This is a great game which I used to enjoy playing a lot on a PPC Mac. When I bought a copy from Big Fish, it kept crashing (an Intel Mac running Snow Leopard). So I downloaded a copy and played that instead.

Now I'm running Mavericks (OS X 10.9) and the Big Fish copy of the game is STILL crashing on the 4th Level out of 50. However, the download copy won't run in Mavericks at all.

I feel swindled. I hope Big Fish will give me another game instead, because all the joy of playing Varmintz has now gone.

posted in Garden Panic on Jun 23, 14 11:14 AM
There's a major drawback to this game! In the Lab, you can work out fairly easily that you have to click on a plant's box on the left, to be able to use it - this costs you one star for each plant.

Then, you go on upgrading each plant by giving stars as you earn them. I usually upgrade pea-cannon, cactus and corn as my main strategy plants, and I get them up to the maximum 15 stars in both categories.

BUT ...

I've played the whole game right through FOUR times (apart from Level 30 which I can't beat) without realising one very important fact : it's no good upgrading a plant to 15 stars UNLESS YOU ALSO CLICK INSIDE THE SECOND AND THIRD 'PLANT PICTURE' !!!!! (Costing one star each plant).

I wondered why each plant always looks the same even after upgrade - I had never got the plants past the first five stars during the game itself.

Here is my recommendation to the developers : IT'S NOT OBVIOUS!! Therefore, don't allow players to award stars beyond the first 5, unless they have first clicked on the blank picture box. The sequence should be, e.g. for the pea-cannon :
1. Click on first pea-cannon box (extreme left)
2. Award up to 5 stars in each category
3. Click on second pea-cannon 'picture' (it's actually an empty box) in the middle
4. Award up to 5 more stars in each category
5. Click on third pea-cannon 'picture' towards the right
6. Award up to 5 more stars in each category
And no-one should be able to do the next thing in that sequence unless they have gone through the steps before it.

posted in Garden Panic on Jun 23, 14 10:37 AM
I've tried creating my own level in the Editor, but each time I try to test it, I get "ERROR : Spawnpoint and Endpoint must be on accessible tiles".

My layout looks ok, so what's the message about? What's an "accessible tile"??

posted in Tennis in the Face on Apr 24, 14 8:37 AM
I knew about the map and going back to improve my score ... but I was really frustrated I couldn't play as a 'new & different' player. Now you've told me about where to do that, I will give it a try!

posted in Tennis in the Face on Apr 24, 14 8:34 AM
I don't think there are any other games like this! But you're right, it's hilarious. I love playing it, then going back to try and earn a 'Crown' on each level. Unlike other games, there's no way to exactly reproduce a successful shot, so it's like playing from the beginning again.

The only thing that really bugs me, is that you can't change profile to a new player, so all you can do is replay levels and try to beat your own score. You can't start all over again as a 'new' player.

posted in Supermarket Management 2 on Apr 24, 14 8:28 AM
I have the same problem. So I watched a YouTube walkthrough, and on the video, the player had already upgraded their 'free taster' counter.

How can that be? I've got Expert on every level up to this, so how come I don't have enough money to upgrade? It seems to be the only way to earn enough to get Expert, but ...

posted in Garden Rescue: Christmas Edition on Apr 24, 14 8:19 AM
Those levels where you don't get money, you get weapons at regular intervals, are the HARDEST! My advice would be to put early weapons (single shooters) on a U-shaped bend, then fill up the parts where there are paths on both sides of a single strip of garden.

Save your bigger weapons (double shooters, big pumpkins and big cactus) to plant on wider parts of garden where they can cover both paths - e.g. by the entrance points, and where it bulges in the middle.

And don't be scared to use up your bonus weapons - springs, bombs, etc - as you need to. You'll get more weapons all the way through, so it's ok.

posted in Plants vs. Zombies on Apr 21, 14 11:03 AM
I've never seen what you would call a user manual for it. There's a tutorial for the first few levels you play, and Crazy Dave pops up a few other times with some 'advice'.

Basically though, once you've got the hang of it, it's fairly intuitive to play. And for those levels or minigames you get stuck on, just Google and you will find a YouTube walkthrough as like as not.

posted in Plants vs. Zombies on Apr 21, 14 8:28 AM
I have bought the Wall Nut first aid but like you, I've never seen where you can use it. I wish someone would tell us.

You get a trophy on Endless Survival after 20 Flags (which is as far as I've ever got!). It's really difficult when those vehicles arrive - even using the reinforced puncture plant (forgot what it's called) doesn't help as they are not permanent and take too long to reload before you can buy another.

posted in Garden Rescue on Apr 21, 14 8:19 AM
I've completed all levels of Garden Rescue to 3 *** General Level, and all except one level of Christmas Edition, which I have only 2 **

I find the hardest levels (by far) are the ones where you don't get coins, but have to use the weapons you're given through the level. If you're like me, and you start to plan a strategy right from the beginning, this is very challenging as you have to use someone else's idea of what you need!

One criticism is that you can't checkpoint after each wave of invaders - so if you lose a star on the last but one 'wave', you have to start right over again from the beginning. However, I do like the way you can go through early waves at 'double speed', to hurry through them.

It would be nice if you are planning another version, if players could opt to spend some money as a bug is dragging a strawberry out of the garden - to send it back into weapon fire for a few more seconds, costing you - say - 200 or 300 coins.

I am kind of addicted to Garden Rescue and would love to see another version of it. However, it falls down compared to Plants vs Zombies on two things :
1. There are no minigames, which gives PvZ such a great variety of gameplay options
2. The bug invasions are always in the same sequence, where in PvZ you're never quite sure which zombies will arrive where, and in which order.

(I have no idea what other users mean by a 'padlock' - there's no padlock on my Mac version!!)

posted in Garden Rescue on Apr 21, 14 8:06 AM
Christmas Edition is so cute - the way the bugs appear wrapped in scarves and little woolly hats! You almost don't want to shoot them ... almost LOL.

What I like about it is that you collect coins just by mousing over them, you don't have to click. Also, you get some coins on the path when you're shooting bugs.

I like the extra bonus weapons you get too - like green gas that makes the bugs reverse direction for a short while, and hail storms and tornados. Nice touches.

But don't think it's any easier than Garden Rescue - the later General stages are just as tough.

posted in Garden Rescue on Apr 21, 14 8:00 AM
I can't help you for Android, but I'll tell you how I got through it on my Mac :

1. You need to upgrade strawberries as fast as you can - I had 3 three-fruit plants by the time the stripy bugs appeared
2. A good start is to defend the X-roads nearest the garden; I got a pea shooter and 3 cacti on it early on (2 of the cacti were right by the garden)
3. Also defend your southernmost point - e.g. a fiery pepper, a sundew, and a pumpkin in a row
4. For when the flying boss arrives, you need corn cob shooters on the long vertical arms (up and down) - hopefully by that time you have upgraded your cacti near to the garden as well
5. Use your lawnmower on the bottletop spiders, but delay until the last possible moment, as the later you use it, the more helmet worms you knock out with it as they begin to appear
6. Try and save your bonus extras as far as you can, for later invasions, but don't hold back and lose a star!

Good luck

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator