Posts created by AverageSizeFish

posted in Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil on Apr 22, 17 8:41 AM
Wow, it's yet another story about a paranormal investigator who arrives in a town plagued by a deadly illness. I got bored of this tired out storyline about 100 games back and won't be buying this game.

posted in Mary le Chef: Cooking Passion Collector's Edition on Apr 19, 17 8:03 AM
I really enjoy time management games but not the kind with restaurants and recipes and all the clicking. I wish Big Fish would use more descriptive categories because this kind of game is very different than the kind I like (Gardens, Inc series, Incredible Dracula, Northern Tales). I like the ones where you think up a strategy to beat the clock rather than this kind which is sort of a memory type game (remember recipes) and requires a lot of fast and constant clicking. It seems many of us have asked for more time management games. Unfortunately for me, Big Fish keeps serving up this kind and I dislike them so much I won't even bother to try them.

posted in Viking Brothers 2 on Mar 30, 17 4:32 PM
I've gotten gold on every level except this one. I've tried many combinations of upgrading shacks, using bonuses, and rearranging what order I do things, and nothing works.

I have come to the conclusion that it is almost certainly not possible to finish this level in gold given the slowness with which the food shack produces food and the swiftness of the timer.

It's very disappointing because this game is good otherwise. Given this extremely poorly designed level, though, I give this game a 2. The developer shows a significant lack of care and play-testing. Obviously, they haven't even bothered to read the reviews for this game. Boo!

The fact that this one impossible level isn't even the last level demonstrates another disappointing feature of the game - the inconsistency of the levels. A game like this should start out fairly easy, and each level should be a bit more difficult than the last. In this game, the difficulty of each level is all over the board, and some of the easiest levels are near the end.

posted in Spellarium on Mar 11, 17 3:47 PM
I've finished playing Spellarium in timed mode, and I'm almost done with it in limited moves mode. I agree with others that the game is easier than others from this developer. I especially did not like the fact that this game popped up big bombs even though the moves I made shouldn't have created big bombs. This made the game feel like it was "cheating" for me or playing itself. I understand that developers are constantly bombarded by people asking for a game that meets their personal preferences and these will all be different. However, I think there are ways around this problem that don't involve dumbing down the game for everyone to please the people who want an easy game.

One alternative is to make the game the challenging joy many of us liked in the Cursed House series (games 2 & 3) but add an Easy Mode that extends the timer in timed mode and the move count in limited moves mode. Extend the timer to three or four times as long and the moves by the same amount. That should make Easy Mode easy enough to please the players who don't want a challenge.

A second alternative is the one you seem to have used in the Cursed House series. This is to provide plus-ups that are level winners if they are employed. When I played Cursed House 2, for example, it became clear that if I just wanted an easy win, I could use a plus-up. There was essentially no way to lose if I did. So I just didn't use the plus-ups. I enjoyed the challenge of the game without them and players who want an easy game could use them and win easily.

As far as people not reading the instructions goes, perhaps it would be helpful to just include a first untimed level with no move limit. A sort of sandbox level that could be used to introduce all of the new unique features of the game. Alternatively, you could put brief skippable sandbox levels at strategic points in the game so that you don't have to introduce all new things right away at the beginning of the game. That way, it would be clear these are tutorial levels that are introducing new features, players that didn't want to do the tutorial (those who are replaying the game for example) could skip them, and no one could complain that they didn't receive instructions.

The thing that makes your games great is that they are not like all the others. You introduce new ideas, and each level is a puzzle as well as a Match-3. I would be very disappointed if you abandoned your unique approach to Match-3 games.

posted in Spellarium on Mar 1, 17 10:51 AM
I love the Cursed House series (one of my favorites), and this game seems a lot like those, so I purchased it. I did not care for the music or graphics in Laruaville (to the point where I could not finish the game), so I'm really glad to see this one is a bit more like Cursed House in terms of both. I hope this one doesn't end up being too easy because I like to have some challenge in a game. The Cursed House games (the second two) were a great challenge. I would love to see more in that series. I didn't think the Cursed House series or this game (or Laruaville for that matter) are saying evil is great. Cursed House was about dispelling evil. Farm Frenzy is about killing animals which doesn't seem to be a particularly happy topic to me.

As far as making Christian-themed games goes, I think for sure any developer that makes a game like that stands to offend many staunch Christians. It could definitely be seen as trivializing Christianity, and that would not be greeted favorably.

Yay! I love this series so much, and I was worried the title "Last Call" meant there wouldn't be a third game. I played the second one over again after finishing it (the music is extraordinary). When I see some dreadful HOPA coming out I can hear Dracula saying, "Oh, not again"!

I bought the first as an SE and the second as a CE, and I think it's definitely worth getting the CE. I played the demo and instantly bought this game. Thank you, developers!

posted in Defense of Egypt on Jan 16, 17 9:49 AM
Don't feel bad Steamed, I couldn't figure this game out either. I chalk it up to really bad game-design and horribly written instructions (a casual game should be pretty easy to learn - that's sort of the definition of a casual game). It's a definite no-buy for me.

posted in The Wisbey Mystery on Jan 13, 17 10:06 AM
The game appears to be pretty old (faded grainy graphics). That wouldn't bother me, but there is a profound lack of imagination or innovation here. The story is a same old kind of story, and the "adventure" component borrows every over-used and underwhelming task you've ever seen in a HOPA game. There are very few hidden object scenes, and they are very easy. There are no puzzles or mini-games. There is no reason to suffer through the game's clunky interface and dull graphics if gameplay and story are equally as poor.

posted in The Wisbey Mystery on Jan 13, 17 10:01 AM
The game crashed when I tried to get through the gate in the opening scene. I restarted and it had not saved my progress. Instead of starting with the mailbox as I had the first time, I started with the gate and was able to get through it. However, the second hidden object scene did not give me a list of things to find and would not register any clicks. I had to close the game from the task manager to escape the broken hidden object scene.

posted in Haunted Legends: Faulty Creatures on Jan 1, 17 9:39 AM
Those games may indeed be excellent. The thing is, for those of us who aren't looking for the 10,000th dark, haunted, shadowed, or otherwise sinister HOPA where we play a detective or someone with a missing relative, wear gloves to brush away rose bush branches, and bribe small animals to give up magic gems, the sale isn't that intriguing. Players who want that 10,000th game are the only players Big Fish consistently caters to. For the rest of us, the fact that there is a sale doesn't mean much because there's nothing interesting for us to buy.

posted in Jewel Match Royale Collector's Edition on Dec 28, 16 7:12 AM
Snowscapes is the game I was referring to in my post above. I quit without finishing that one too. It was so disappointing as I had saved the game to play it for the first time this holiday season. Again, it was so pretty and charming that I wanted to love it, but the nagging buy-a-life pop up just killed my enjoyment.

posted in Jewel Match Royale Collector's Edition on Dec 28, 16 6:30 AM
Hi SynthpopAddict, thanks for your post As I said above:

"I'm sure there are some who devoted quite a bit of time and effort to struggle through without buying lives, but for most casual gamers it is going to be one level after another looking at a popup that says you're out of time.
I buy casual Match-3 games for a challenge that isn't going to require in-depth study or weeks of play to win. It's just as simple as that."

Like you said, everyone has different tastes. I think this developer could please more people if they offered different timer speeds instead of a timer that is either super-fast or completely off. Something along the lines of relaxed (completely off), casual (something reasonably challenging without being too easy), and expert (a quick timer for those who want to repeat the same level more than a few times before winning). I've seen developers use this strategy in other games, and they do this because it allows the game to appeal to more players. As these developers seem to check the forum, I thought I'd mention my opinion in the hope that the developers might consider this because, in all other ways, I love the game. However, I want to be able to play it in timed and limited moves modes and, as it is, I found the timed mode too annoying to continue.

posted in Jewel Match Royale Collector's Edition on Dec 19, 16 5:17 PM
I ended up buying the game and, while I want to love it because it's so pretty, it's plagued with the same issue that another in this series has - in timed mode, it's completely dependent on the player buying one life after another just to finish a level. I'm sure there are some who devoted quite a bit of time and effort to struggle through without buying lives, but for most casual gamers it is going to be one level after another looking at a popup that says you're out of time.

I buy casual Match-3 games for a challenge that isn't going to require in-depth study or weeks of play to win. It's just as simple as that. I don't want to have to play levels in a game that has this much chance built into it over and over waiting for that one turn when I get all the breaks and beat the otherwise impossible timer. I don't want to have game-play constantly interrupted with a nagging popup box telling me that yet again I have to buy a life to keep playing - it really slows down game-play, and it's an absolute buzz-kill. I also don't want to play in untimed mode.

There are levels in this game where you have just as much to do as you have in levels that come later but you're given half the time to finish. There is just no way for anyone approaching this as a casual game to win the level without the constant nag of the buy-a-life popup.

The thing is, that if I know going into a level that I'm going to have to buy lives no matter how well I play then there is no reason to try to play well. This is especially so given how easy it is to purchase more lives. At that point, I may as well turn the timer off. But if I do that, then I'm playing in relaxed mode, and I don't enjoy (or see a point in) playing Match-3 games in relaxed mode (more power to those that do, I'm speaking for myself). A reasonable timer (one designed with casual gaming in mind) would go a long way to improving this game, in my opinion.

Another issue is that once you improve your plus-ups they take a lot more "mana" to use them and there isn't enough mana on the board to get to use them very often. This issue makes improving the plus-ups somewhat pointless.

Overall, I'm very disappointed in this game. It's just an annoying frustration wrapped up in lovely graphics and pleasant music.

posted in Jewel Match Royale Collector's Edition on Nov 24, 16 5:33 PM
After the developer posted, I tried the demo. As has been the case with more recent games, the board tokens show a lot of variety, are very pretty, and fit a theme (for example, the garden theme tokens include lace fans, top hats, and teapots). The music is low-key and relaxing, and matches cause a tinkling sound like wind chimes.

I was pleased to note that if you want you can click Esc to skip unwanted story parts (it would be nice if there was just an option at the start to eliminate the story altogether), and the match-3 boards are not interrupted by compulsory mini-games. Also, there is at least one new feature introduced in the match-3 (a butterfly token in the garden boards that doesn't drop in the typical fashion).

In between match-3 boards you can buy parts of your castle and decorate the exterior with your choice of statues, trees, planters, and similar items. For some reason, this part of the Jewel Match games always makes me happy, so I'm glad it's still in there.

I plan to get the Collector's Edition for the extra castles and levels, but I'm going to wait for a CE sale. This should hold me until it's the right time to play the Christmas-themed Jewel Match which I purchased after demo-ing but have been saving for the holiday.

posted in Jewel Match Royale Collector's Edition on Nov 24, 16 9:59 AM
Has anyone played the game through to find out what makes this a Collector's Edition rather than an SE?

Also, does it have the same story that you can't get rid of and mini-games that force themselves on you in the middle of a match-3 that they included in Jewel Match 4? I hated those elements of Jewel Match 4, and if this one has those things I don't want to bother with it. I loved the Jewel Match games until they started adding all kinds of compulsory "features" that aren't match-3 boards.

I completely agree nanafraser, amazemen, and belamba. Eipix games are guaranteed to look fantastic yet be utterly boring. They all involve the same formulaic running around doing the exact same nonsensical tasks and have plotlines that are thinly disguised reruns from previous games. What they did to the HE and MCF series was saddening and annoying - they just squashed all life, humor, uniqueness, and interest out of it. This latest looks lovely, but there is no way I would waste my money buying a cookie-cutter game I feel like I essentially already own under a different title. Great graphics don't make a game great - great ideas make a great game. Unfortunately, Eipix seems out of ideas.

posted in Maze: The Broken Tower Collector's Edition on Oct 17, 16 8:01 AM
I agree with JRDALLAS. The game is great during the demo and then completely collapses. I got so bored after purchasing it that I couldn't finish it. It seems very innovative at the beginning and then turns into your typical HOPA complete with animated skeletons. About the only tired out gimmick I didn't run into was the squirrel/puppy/mouse/bird that requires food in exchange for an item. It's unfortunate because the game had so much promise in the demo and gets really dull very quickly after you buy it.

posted in Imperial Island 2: The Search for New Land on May 4, 16 3:11 PM
It's very disappointing that I am unable to replay levels in this game. This makes the game so broken that I want a refund. I would not have purchased this game if the page I bought it on had informed me that there was a bug that disallowed repeat play.

It's even more disappointing that this problem was reported many times long ago and it still has not been fixed.

What's even more disappointing than these facts is that Big Fish apparently thinks the way to deal with customer complaints about this problem is to lock the threads where customers are complaining about the problem.

When you're making a computer game or application, customer bug reports are a valuable means of making your game or app better. They should be greeted with thanks and an update rather than with a gag. I am far more unhappy about the way this problem has been handled than the fact that the problem was there in the first place. I understand that computer programs sometimes need a bit of tweaking. I do not understand poor customer service or a refusal to fix a clearly defined bug that has been reported by numerous customers.

posted in Silver Tale on Apr 27, 16 3:19 PM
I agree with SynthpopAddict, any matches made directly next to the resource veins causes the clunk noise and text indicating how many resources were extracted from the vein with that move. Exploding bombs and amphorae next to them work as well. There is no need to make specific types of matches to get the resources out of a resource vein as far as I can tell.

posted in Silver Tale on Apr 26, 16 3:27 PM
The tip to the digging levels is to buy all the upgrades that will help you with them...after all there is nothing else you can use all this junk for anyway.

Once you've done that, when you're in the digging level concentrate on making amphora and bomb matches and work to make them so your explosives are in adjacent tiles...combine them once they are. I've enjoyed the digging levels by using this strategy and seeing how few moves I could use to get to the bottom. I've never used a plus up in the digging levels and I always end up with lots of moves to spare...sometimes over 100. If anything, using this strategy, the digging levels are too easy.

To me overall, the game feels like a game that was meant to be FTP and was broken by being made a game that isn't FTP. I will never even look at a FTP game so at least this dev is moving in the right direction. That said, removing a monetary system where you spend real money for gold means you need to provide some other means for players to buy gold if all your plus ups depend on it and winning levels depends on plus ups.

The easy route with the current game set up would be to create a "market" where you can sell all the otherwise useless junk you find in the levels for the gold you need to buy plus ups...all the rune dust, leather, and etc. The more creative route would be to make the inventory items you find work in some system that required them to make plus ups from. That would have the added bonus of making it significant when you found a glass shard or whatever. As it is it's just annoying to me now when I find this junk. The game had so much potential and it's disappointing to have everything you find be some useless piece of junk.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator