Posts created by plat1098

posted in Rose Riddle: The Fairy Tale Detective on Apr 28, 18 10:51 AM
This is from the uber developer of Moai series, where the men and women characters wielded building materiel and other stuff equally, but not here. A kind of minor quibble, must be courtesy of the other dev but hey! The story is a little strange but I fell right into it and disregarded the tutorials. A time passer if I ever saw one, and unique enough to keep me interested.

Off the beaten track a little but not bad. Sometimes these things just "click."

posted in Grim Facade: Broken Sacrament Collector's Edition on Apr 27, 18 4:44 PM
Aww, well, this was my first Grim Façade, and I liked it, at least the demo. It's on my list to buy in a sale. Richly colored and pretty graphics, however, the animations during speaking weren't very well synced but anyway. Held my interest and the mini games were cute and doable for me in casual mode. Messing around in a mausoleum may not be everyone's fave thing to do but you have to do it. Didn't care to give a cat an ornamental goldfish to get it out of the way--game developers: let's trim these little cruelties, OK? The storyline is a familiar theme of familial betrayal and revenge from beyond the grave. The graphics and their detail is what kept me interested, as well as the collectables and the pretty custom pointer/hints icon.

Hey, I like it, what can I say?

posted in Christmas Wonderland 8 on Apr 22, 18 6:13 PM
Spoiler:

The item is the last one? In the three-drawer cabinet where the yellow hardhat is, move the pointer around the third drawer, you will get a magnifier. There it is......

posted in Christmas Wonderland 8 on Apr 18, 18 3:09 PM
Well it's latter half of April and almost as cold as the past months and I couldn't resist. Yes! I am vicariously enjoying a tasty meal of pizza and coffee in an outdoor café in the tundra! Not! They toned down the mountainous piles of stuff and it's not as disheveled as say, CW3, but cute and festive in a more tasteful way, even if the season is in the past. Angels and lost items--man, that silvery grey camera's always getting lost in space. The scenes are very attractively done--it gets better by the year. And here, "quit" means quit; no "are you sure?"

Can't help myself. We'll be getting the ninth, right? It's traditional.

Maybe I'm jaded and/or have played too many games on a steamy site we can't mention here but the disclaimer in the opener: "This game contains disturbing scenes"--OK so where are they? If that's supposed to hook you in, maybe it does initially, but after demo is up, I find this game is pretty average. Hidden objects and minis are decent and I've seen variations of them before. Graphics are nice: the style is very pleasant and the colors are well done and coordinate nicely, nothing harsh. Cool collectables and morphing objects (I like those). If you're a fan of the series, I can see this one fitting right in but if you're not, the demo will probably prove you right.

Well, it's hard not to compare this to Elven Legends and there are lots of similarities but truthfully, I like this better: it's a little more refined and polished. Got the same hand/hammer combo for the various tasks and the same musical-voiced protagonist running into special areas for certain tasks. Started off very well with an interior design instead of the same old outdoor settings. There are other little details that add to a decent gameplay. Graphics were adequate and enhanced, not detracted from, the game. A cute little game; get it on a sale.

Edit: I find this game gets better the farther you go along. There does get to be a lot of resource collecting (aka: click-fest) and you have to get used to how the resources are added up, as well as spending precious seconds hoping to find a resource-vase. BUT, it's fun! I like it!

posted in Viking Saga: New World on Apr 2, 18 11:09 AM
Two at the bottom of screen--one is right by the timer. Two are on upper right plateau. One is on mid-right plateau by totem. One is across stone bridge, mid right. Last one is on left side where the two building sites are.

posted in Moonsouls: Echoes of the Past Collector's Edition on Mar 31, 18 5:06 PM
No, nope. Had a rushed feel to it, like the deadline was looming and it needed to get out. Graphics were meh: simplistic renderings at times and too much pastel--yuck. The storyline yarked me a bit--I don't mind one dimension and then another but this was pushing my limits a bit in the silly department. Love the way 12 termites morphed to about 100 in the blink of an eye--not. Simple mini games + easy HOPS in the demo--just a little disappointed. If you like clicking on the same symbol (looks like the MadHead logo) in every scene, here ya go. Other fish in the sea for me.

posted in Pirate Chronicles Collector's Edition on Mar 24, 18 10:41 AM
It's the beatenest little game, I love it dearly. But...it's been two years. Let's hope for the best. Also waiting on another Gardens Inc, too. With such clamor for these games, why aren't the devs listening?

posted in Lost Lands: Ice Spell on Mar 20, 18 7:23 PM
My interest waxed and waned. Some over-the-top stuff like: you're working your way thru the museum and suddenly, you simply must go to the rune wall in the other world. The ending begged for a sequel, not telling. Previous Lost Lands were overall better, the stories were more coherent, and I didn't spot the few grammatical errors I did here. Maaron got really short shrift here, I like him better than the main character and would like to see much more of him next time.

posted in Lost Lands: Ice Spell Collector's Edition on Mar 13, 18 2:52 PM
I'm a fan of the developer and like others here, have all the games (or most). Only needed to play a token bit of the demo before buying. What clinched it was the ability to eliminate the voiceovers in the Settings options. The characters must not speak! No seriously, it can grate on one's nerves. The ambiance is similar, the theme, the way the hidden objects are done, it's all good so far. Thanks for another one in a great series!

posted in Rescue Team 4 on Mar 12, 18 10:21 AM
Well, it's been like five months, but there are several topics on level 36 in this thread. Real quick: house, gas, gas. Upgrade house and one gas one level and use both speed bonuses. One tip I found to hold across all the RT games is if you have a whole bunch of resources on the road, do not waste time and workers picking it all up at once. Clear path or build something first, then have workers clear path behind him.

posted in Moai IV: Terra Incognita Collector's Edition on Mar 10, 18 6:02 AM
Immediately build/repair forge and quarry. Open chest, cut 2 trees, get breadfruit.
Build lighthouse. On second island a worker is ready so get the fruit bowl and build farm. Stay away from rear of island where other worker is for now. Build sawmill next to temple, then boat ramp. On third island, clear path, build oil press. When third island was established and field upgraded, freed fourth worker on second island and opened chests. UPGRADED once: sawmill, field and forge. Used Horn of Plenty when all shacks were built. Used the Scales of Wealth when obtaining mana from temple. You need two huts upgraded twice and one basic hut on three lower lots.

Time points: 7037

posted in Donna Brave: And the Strangler of Paris on Feb 19, 18 11:35 AM
I'm playing the standard edition demo because there's a two-for-one sale going on and I'm a little poor right now. Anyway. I read the very positive reviews before playing; ordinarily this would bias one but not this time. A little picky but this is supposed to be 1930-ish Paris yet private convos among the Parisians is in flawless English and a jazz tune is sounding a lot like the James Bond theme. You're supposed to suspend disbelief a number of other times also but if you like the game in general, overlook them easily. A bit of humorous understanding with the ubiquitous missing zipper pull--gosh "what do you do here?"--as if we didn't know a thousand times already. Typically, no plethora of hidden objects but mini puzzles are nicely done and not too difficult. Some of the animations are a bit primitive but again, if you like this, overlook. The story gets more interesting as you go along so by the time the demo is over, you might find yourself wanting to go on just for that. Graphics are nicely rendered but darkness prevails. I miss the quirky and unexpected little twists this developer had in many of the older games but maybe there's some later on. Let's hope so.

I want to go on. So, I'm going to get this on the two-fer. Now, what else?

posted in Moai V: New Generation Collector's Edition on Feb 16, 18 4:49 PM
Went back and replayed this level, are you sure you're describing level 19? It sounds like another level altogether. For level 19, swat the birds for food and demolish the farm when you can, building and upgrading a forge in its place. Also, destroy the site for a Moai statue and build/upgrade forge. Upgrade everything. It's a pretty "easy" level compared to the others, actually.

posted in Moai V: New Generation Collector's Edition on Feb 16, 18 4:04 PM
You're right about the learning curve. You can surmise the developers really got into this one, crafting the game from every angle. Graphics are rendered beautifully. And you're right about it getting frustrating and obscure, forcing you to go hunting for hints. As far as the "boys side," as soon as the "girls side" started, I forgot about the opening levels. Kao-Ri is about the most difficult and rewarding series of resource management game I've played to date. I have mixed feelings about Moai V but one thing's for sure: it's a quality, highly challenging and endearing game.

posted in Moai V: New Generation Collector's Edition on Feb 11, 18 9:21 AM
Thank you for this guide! The strategy guide didn't quite cut it for me. What had me getting this in gold time (barely, barely) was running the windmill for the speed production bonuses, as often as I could. Didn't upgrade hut to four, nor any of the three gold mines, just ran the windmill a lot. Also, the trader proved to be useful for mana a few times.

Whew, glad that one's behind me. Thanks again.

Edit: my time was 13 minutes, 0 sec.

posted in Moai V: New Generation Collector's Edition on Feb 9, 18 3:10 PM
The strategy guide in the CE has you using the colorful mini altar in the holy glade a lot. I used the Scales of Wealth b/c you get a lot of wood. The guide also names the Speed Sandals. It's tricky--you have to trade the oil for mana at the altar simultaneously to the prayer at the mini altar. I hope this is not confusing. Just use your wood for the Scales mainly because your mana gets low. Stay away from the trader who wants 50 stones, you need all of them. The tree in bottom right has all the ore you need for the sand piles. Also, you need to keep a worker at the well. It takes a lot of mental juggling but it can be done!

Edit: trade with the trader after you've built all the big items needing stone. Then, you can spare it.

posted in Moai V: New Generation Collector's Edition on Feb 8, 18 6:38 PM
Excuse me, I find this a little silly. This game is challenging and messy as it is without these mysterious "in" things. But thanks, I needed the clue, it was starting to get to me. lol.

posted in Dark City: London on Jan 24, 18 6:10 PM
Oh now, I like this. Even read thru the chit chat which normally is so out of here. Graphics, meh but some scenes are easier on the eye than others. Loved the first hidden object game in the demo, sold!--and the briefcase mini ain't too shabby either. Some unexpected plot twists early on. Got this game via the mega sale. Cheerio, pip pip!

Edit: Finished the game. You have to suspend disbelief at times and "play along." I don't think LED numerals were around during the dawn of the Big Ben era and there is a tiny mixup in one of the mini games. We've all seen the old "stuck key and the newspaper under the door" trick many times. Graphics overall are mediocre in quality and a bit heavy with the greys. However, this is a cute and humorous little game--cute hidden objects, fun little mini games and interesting plot twists now and then. Glad I got it on sale.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator