Posts created by anonymiss

posted in Chronicles of Albian: The Magic Convention on Dec 12, 10 1:44 PM
I love straight HOGs - I never used to, but I'm actually sick to death of going from room to room and/or scene & back and forth over & over again to find one object in order for me to progress any further in a game. I'm also happy to see something that's not themed around private investigators/police, murders, vampires & demons for a change (not that I don't enjoy those types of games, but I'm just sick of the overkill - surely there are OTHER topics that could be made into HOGs - for example, the DD series, Gardenscapes, etc). I've been playing HOGs since they were first released so I'm no new newbie, but if you're looking for a more or less straight HOG, then this game may fit the bill. It's obviously not going to be everyone's 'cup of tea', but then each to their own.

Whilst some peoples' complaints are "it's boring" because there isn't anything to do but find hidden items (other than a few fairly simple mini games), as I said above, I'm personally fed up with games that move from scene to scene where you have to search around constantly for one item. They're driving me up the wall - and I *NEVER* thought I'd live to say that!

I'm not having too many problems finding items (I do agree that it is more or less a junkpile game and very cluttered, and the fairies, in particular, can be very difficult to find, though I've found I don't really need them anyway) and the longer you play, the easier it seems to become to find items. Some people are saying the graphics are blurry, I however am not having that problem - if I try a game that *is* blurry/fuzzy, I immediately delete it as it's a HUGE pet peeve of mine, but I'm honestly not having that problem with the Chronicles of Albian. I can't speak as to the voiceovers as if the option is available in a game, I always turn them off (I prefer to read rather than listen to people speaking in games). There are a few Spot the Differences, and I know a lot of fishies HATE these, but I don't mind them, as long as there aren't thousands upon thousands of them in a game, and there isn't in this game.

I only have one renovation left to do and am therefore quite a way into the game and have enjoyed it. I can see myself playing this one again in the future when I want something easy and light-hearted.

posted in Chronicles of Albian: The Magic Convention on Dec 12, 10 1:34 PM
I agree.. I'm enjoying this game very much!

posted in Chronicles of Albian: The Magic Convention on Dec 12, 10 1:33 PM
I agree the scenes are cluttered and sort of junkpile, and yes, the items are small, but you find if you play for about 15-20 mins or so that it does get easier, once you've had a chance to get used to it. I personally love the game.. nice change of pace from dark-themed games IMO.

posted in Chronicles of Albian: The Magic Convention on Dec 10, 10 9:52 PM
Me three!

I am thoroughly enjoying this game. Yes, some of the items are very difficult to find, particularly the jewels, wands & fairies, but as other people who like the game have said, it makes it more challenging. I also found that as the game progressed, you more or less got used to what you were looking for & I found it easier. It certainly helps that the graphics are nice & sharp (at least on my monitor they are) and not blurry and/or fuzzy like so many other games seem to be. The scenes are, perhaps, a little on the junkpile side, but that doesn't bother me in this game. I like the music too - not intrusive and just nice relaxing background music.

I'm no 'newbie' in terms of HOGs/IHOGs, having been playing them since they were first released, but as I seem to be saying lately, I think it's nice to see a change of pace in terms of a HOG not being centered around dark themes (ie. vampires, murders, vampires, ghosts, vampires, demons.. oh, and I did I mention vampires? ). I like darker-themed HOGs too, they certainly have their place, but sometimes you just want to play something that has a 'light' theme, and Chronicles of Albian is in that category.

Each to their own, but this one for me is a keeper!

posted in Mysteries of Magic Island on Oct 18, 10 4:41 PM
Well I guess I'm in the minority as I like this game. I didn't get it from BF (I don't get games any longer from here as I can't get any of them to work anymore. I uninstalled Game Manager due to computer problems and now it won't reinstall no matter what I do, so after much help from CS I've just given up & found another site. Of course, without the Game Manager, you can't play any games from BF anymore so that rules me out from ever buying another game [or even re-downloading and installing the older games I've purchased over the years] from BF, and I was a club member too. I've spent a small fortune over the years on games from here so I am NOT a happy camper. This is totally frustrating & annoying as I have collected so many games from BF over the years & can't play a single one - GRRR).

Anyway, I am enjoying this game, like I said. I love dark stories and atmospheres, such as Dire Grove, The Exorcist, etc, but to be honest, I'm so sick of them lately I want something a bit lighter in theme and this game fits the bill. I'm starting to think the devs have run out of ideas as nearly all the HOGs/IHOGs seem to be of a dark atmosphere (vampires especially). Yes, like I said, I do like them, but I'm actually very very sick of them at this point. I want something happy and uplifting, particularly as at the moment, both my husband & I are going through a few health issues and I'm finding that the darker-themed games are just depressing me. I'd like to see more games along the lines (in terms of light themes) such as Gardenscapes, a new Dream Day Wedding, and h*ll, I never thought I'd live to say this as I'm not a romantic type, but even more along the lines of Nora White would be something just a tad more light and different than the same old dark-themed games. I know the dark-themed games are very popular, but surely there are a few other people out there like myself who would like to see a few more 'happier' and lighter types of HOG/IHOG games?

Just a thought anyway...

posted in Letters from Nowhere on Oct 11, 10 12:36 AM
I won't go into too much detail, other than to say I played this game from start to finish (and no, I wasn't one of the beta testers and I'm not affiliated in any way, shape or form with the developers) and I LOVED it. Yes, it's fairly simple in terms of being, more or less, a straight HOG, but it's a great game and there will definitely be a sequel. For those waiting for BF to release it, it's worth the wait!

posted in Classic Adventures: The Great Gatsby on Jul 31, 10 11:02 PM
I *found* the barber pole, but it was nearly impossible to click on it. The only way I could manage to pick it up was by waiting for it to come into view in the distance and then press "Hint" so the car stopped and you could click it (and that was after waiting for it come into view THREE TIMES & trying to click on it as the car was going). Apart from that, I'm enjoying this game!

posted in Journalistic Stories on Jul 19, 10 7:37 PM
I lasted less than 5 minutes with this game. What killed it for me was that you don't have the option to use the system cursor (which I find particularly annoying) and the custom cursor basically seemed to have a mind of its own - as others have pointed out, it seemed 'jerky' or 'loose' and it drove me nuts. I will point out that I've seen other people comment that they've had this problem in the past with other games, however, this is the first time I've *EVER* played a game on BF and come across this problem - now I know why so many people are driven to distraction by it!!!

After the aggravation of The Wizard of Oz, I most certainly didn't need MORE of the same. Deleted from my system within 10 minutes of downloading it. Sorry BF, but this one is not for me.

Oh well, at least I still have The Great Gatsby to keep me amused!

posted in L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz on Jul 19, 10 7:17 PM
pfalcioni wrote:I think the end of your subject got cut off, should have been: "I am lovely, this game is awful"

posted in L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz on Jul 18, 10 11:09 PM
Well, that's 30 minutes of my life I'll never get back. After seeing everyone's comments about this game, I had to try it for myself to see if it really was that bad, and no, it was actually worse. Not much more I can say as I think everyone else has covered it. I normally don't have any problems whatsoever with tiny objects, but this was just absolutely ridiculous. I doubt you'd find many of the items even with a magnifying glass. The clincher for me was, as so many other people have pointed out, the so-called food items you had to find - I think I recognised one item (broccoli perhaps?!), but as for the rest I found (and yes, I did manage to last long enough to find all 10), they could have been anything, and most of them I either found by random clicking or by using a hint. Even with the hint, I had NO idea what sort of food it was supposed to be - the items looked to be about 2-3 pixels in size - crazy!!

This game could have been fabulous. Although the music was a tad repetitive, I didn't really mind it all that much (I hated the voice over - was she reading from an idiot card? - and as others have pointed out, even if you turned the sound right down, half the time her voice would still come through) and the graphics were actually lovely (except for the fact it looks like they just 'dropped' many of the items in the foreground).

If the developers fix the problems with the ridicuously tiny objects I would definitely consider giving this game another go as it has huge potential, but as it currently stands, there's no way in heck I'd play this again - I'm afraid I simply don't need the aggravation!

posted in L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz on Jul 18, 10 5:42 PM
I admit, I wasn't even going to bother d/l this one to try, firstly because judging by the screen shots, the graphics looked fuzzy/grainy, and secondly, I noticed it had objects to find shown as silohuettes (one of my MAJOR pet peeves in HOGs), however, after reading so many negative comments, I just *have* to d/l it to see for myself how awful it is! I'll be back later with my opinion!!

posted in Golden Trails: The New Western Rush on Jul 15, 10 7:42 PM
swtndsr2 wrote:It looks like a good game....but I'm not into westerns. Sorry Duke!!!

Please don't let that dissuade you from trying this game. Honestly, I absolutely LOATHE westerns (much to the disgust of my husband LOL), but this is a treasure of a game. I too wasn't even going to bother downloading it with my distaste for the subject matter, but I'm glad I did as this is a fabulous game. If you haven't tried it, please do yourself a favour and at least download it and try it - you may, as I was!, be very surprised and enjoy it!

posted in Classic Adventures: The Great Gatsby on Jul 15, 10 4:54 PM
Malicia69 wrote:Being that I have kids, I am very strict about what content they view and play from games. If you don't like the content of this game, it's wise not to allow your kids play this particular game. This game seems to be an adult game, so parental instincts are vital if you don't want to expose your kids to violent games.

Malicia, I'm Australian too but I did read this at school (not that I remember much of it!!!).

And I agree 100% with your comments. It's up to the parents to keep an eye on what their children play (or don't play). It's not up to BF to do the job of the parent. Honestly, I'm sick to death of everything being 'sanitized'.. political correctness gone mad IMO.

posted in Classic Adventures: The Great Gatsby on Jul 15, 10 4:50 PM
Well personal 'issues' aside (I personally don't have any problems with the subject matter - as other people have rightly pointed out, apart from the fact that this game is based on the book by the same name, you see exactly the same sort of subject matter on the nightly news - which IMO is MUCH worse as it's real life - this is, after all, a game geared towards adults who should know the difference between right & wrong), I love this game & have purchased it.

The graphics in particular caught my attention. It's a HOG/IHOG, but with a twist, and there's enough new(ish) content to keep me interested. I actually think it's a nice change of pace to see a game based on an American classic (for the record, I'm not American [I'm Australian], but we did read The Great Gatsby at school) instead of the usual fare of vampires, corpses, jungles, etc (which I also enjoy, but I like a change of pace every now & again). I hope to see more games set in this time period as the twenties is a particular favourite of mine (and also the thirties and forties - love that time period!).

Another great game well worth the $6.99 asking price. Thanks BF!

posted in Classic Adventures: The Great Gatsby on Jul 15, 10 2:37 AM
From what I understand, this game is based on the book by F Scott Fitzgerald of the same name. I did read this in school (and granted, that's quite a few years ago!!), however, I can't really remember the majority of the storyline. That being said, although I agree that nowadays many of the issues people seem to have with this game are considered archaic and more than a little unsettling, particularly domestic violence (well, except for the mixing drinks part, personally, that doesn't bother me, but each to their own), if the game is based on the book, I don't think it would hold true to form had it not kept with the storyline. Just my opinion for what it's worth.. (ie. not much LOL).

posted in Golden Trails: The New Western Rush on Jul 15, 10 2:19 AM
Oh my, what a surprise (of the pleasant variety!) this game was. I say that because:

a) I'm not a fan of westerns and/or western-themed games, books, TV shows or movies;
b) I usually loathe voice overs in games; and
c) I normally pass on any HOG/IHOG that uses pictures of items to find instead of words.

However, with Golden Trails, all 3 of the above didn't bother me in the least. I played about 20 minutes before making the decision to purchase it. So far I'm thoroughly enjoying this game. The graphics are absolutely oustanding & crystal clear (no junk piles!!), the sound effects & music are not intrusive and add just the right amount of ambience, and the storyline itself is quite interesting. I like the added bonus of trophies for various tasks (even though that in itself isn't normally a drawcard for me), and the option of gaining extra hints (shooting outlaws) while perhaps offensive to some (and I'm not a fan of guns) is quirky enough to keep the game interesting - and at the end of the day, it is just a game so I don't think it's worth getting worked up over (for me personally anyway).

All in all, this is a first rate HOG/IHOG and well worth the $6.99 purchase price. 4/5 stars.

Happy gaming all!

posted in Artifacts of the Past: Ancient Mysteries on Jul 10, 10 6:43 PM
Any game that has 'fragments' of items to find is a no-buy for me - they annoy the heck out of me (same goes for HOGs/IHOGs that have loads of hidden object scenes where you have to find an item based on its picture and/or silhouette only). I think this goes back to me enjoying language more than trying to utilise my (non-existent!!) spatial abilities! Mind you, I'm in the minority with a lot of things I like (such as 'spot the difference' - which although not my favourite, don't annoy me as they seem to do a lot of gamers). I tried to like this game, but after 20 or so minutes, I deleted it. Glad others like it, but not for me.

posted in Blood Oath on Jun 19, 10 6:01 PM
I admit I'm a huge fan of dark games, but I would like to see a little more variety in new games with a lighter theme such as the Yard Sale games. It's not that I don't enjoy the darker-themed games (I enjoy them very much), it's just that a more equal balance would be nice too, for those days when you want to play a HOG or IHOG and you're in the mood for something cheerier. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining (and I actually quite like this game), it's just that I have a few things going on in my life at the moment and I'd like to play a new game with a lighter theme to help take my mind off my troubles and just to help cheer me up a little.

posted in Agatha Christie: 4:50 from Paddington on Jun 17, 10 6:49 PM
I've only played 2 chapters as I've been so busy with work, but this was an immediate buy for me (as I've said b4, the Agatha Christie series of games are amongst my all-time favourites and I've been looking forward to another one!). I'm looking forward to the weekend so I can return to playing!!

posted in Agatha Christie: 4:50 from Paddington on Jun 17, 10 5:29 PM
I think the very reason I love the AG series so much is that they *are* 'slow-moving'. As I've said in my other review, I know HOGs & IHOGs have become more sophisticated as time has gone on and most people have come to expect more, however, with this particular series, I think the slow-moving aspect is part of the charm - to my way of thinking, it fits perfectly with the time period/s they are set in and the overall storyline itself. Personally I think it would ruin the game if it was all rush around here, rush around there. It would be totally out of character with the 'feel' of AG stories, which are set in a more 'genteel' time period than current day.

Just my opinion of course, but I hope that they keep making them - like I said before, these series of games hold a special place in my heart.

Have a good weekend one and all!

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator