Posts created by SavemeJack

posted in Victorian Mysteries: Woman in White on Sep 18, 10 10:42 PM
It seems every time we have an update to install to the Game Manager, things go awry. I am having the same problem as most other fishies - I hit "play now", get through to the BFG logo, and it brings me back to the page where hit says "You still have 60 minutes to play, do you want to play again?" It's just a big loop. I have uninstalled and installed twice - no luck. Will wait for the fix on this one.

And when did we have to constantly upgrade the Game Manager? In 3 years as a BFG member, I never had to do that until just recently - and now it seems it is every other week. Maybe that's the problem - Leave well enough alone!!

Peace anyway,
cg

posted in Classic Adventures: The Great Gatsby on Sep 18, 10 10:30 PM
GENKICOLL - What a wonderful job you did reviewing this game and all its intricacies. I am late in posting, but saved this game to one of my last to play because I knew it was going to be great.

Every since playing the demo, it has haunted me. So as soon as I was able, I bought it. I've never played a game like this with so many things to do, as Genkicoll related, and so different in every respect. Have to put it up there with the top one or two game BFG's has offered. Very surprised BFG didn't give it the publicity and credit it so deserved.

I will definitely play this again. Getting the hang of the game and looking for so many things in a scene, I didn't pay close attention to the dialogue, which is the story. Such a sad tale of what it was like to be rich and uncaring about anyone or anything in that era. A real classic. The transformation into a "game" was amazing, and lacked nothing.

Hope people take the time to at least demo this one - you will be hard pressed to find a better game out there.

Peace,
cg

posted in The Stone of Destiny on Sep 12, 10 3:55 PM
No Buy for me. There are too many other games I'd rather put my $2.99 toward this month.

BFG just began offering the DD WITHOUT a code. I bought one once recently, and it just came up with the price being $2.99. But I don't understand why they changed this, and why it took until 3 p.m. in the afternoon to work out the problem? Maybe 'cause it's Sunday. For me, the code was much easier.

Enjoy your DD everyone! I'm saving up - hoping some of the CE's will come out in regular editions before the end of the month.

As always,
cg

posted in Nightmare Adventures: The Witch's Prison on Sep 5, 10 1:07 PM
Oops - it got posted twice. Sorry.

posted in Nightmare Adventures: The Witch's Prison on Sep 5, 10 1:06 PM
Oh, a definite buy for me, too. Not having any problems whatsoever with curser, slowness, darkness (which can be adjusted at options menu in beginning), or any other tech issues.

I played the whole darn trial, I was so engrossed. I never do that - so I'm going to have to buy it. The story - well, it has something to do with that tecno firm named in the game (no giveaways here), but still not sure what it's going to lead to. Loads of puzzles and I love puzzles. That's why my favorite games were the Dream Chronicles - except the last one (lame). DC's were a super challenge since you could not progress through the game without finishing a puzzle, and no skips!!

Anway, back to this. Great graphics, fun and sometimes difficult puzzles, lots to think about while playing, no hand holding, hints were helpful, music creepy and unobtrusive, not much reading, creepy with a sense of humor in some places, story line (I'm not sure, yet, but interested enough to buy). No cons that I can think of right now, but may wait to see if they fix everyone else's problems with the cursor and use my free credit for it then. Never know, I may run into cursor problems as the game progresses.

Too bad they couldn't have made this longer, longer, longer. Someone said 5 hours - a decent length, and definitely worth it is you have a free credit.

I was pleasantly surprised at what a well thought-out game this was, and with the puzzles. Didn't realize there'd be so many!! Love it!

Hope all problems get straightened out for everyone. I'm sure they will - B/F is great at doing that. And if they can't, they will for sure give you a free game.

So don't panic, relax, have a great labor day weekend, and pray for those who are looking for a job.

Peace to all
cg

posted in Department 42: The Mystery of the Nine on Sep 5, 10 11:29 AM
I really enjoyed the demo.
Pros: The graphics are great, and the lightness or darkness can be controlled in "options" at the beginning. The H O scenes are quite clever, and you really have to look for the items, they are so well camoufloged (had to look up sp in dictionary). It is a real challenge in itself to find these hidden objects. The music is unobtrusive. The game play interesting with a good story line. Lots of self-thinking in this game. Objects to find in each scene are represented by a change in the cursor to a hand to pick it up. Not spooky, just challenging. Puzzles are not your usual fare. I played the hour demo without finishing the first chapter, so it would seem to be a long game. Not a lot of reading to do. Sound effects okay, but can also be controlled in "options" at the beginning. Well put together H O G/ Adventure. Map to navigate to each scene you need to go to; no going down streets and paths to get to where you want.

Cons: The cursor is, as said before, picky. You have to click correctly on what you want to pick up. No big deal, tho. Same scene revisited over and over with different objectives in mind. Again, no big deal for a DD.

Had none of the original problems of not being able to pick up things in my inventory or jerky motions with the custom cursor. Ran smoothly.

WOULD LIKE TO BUY, BUT CAN'T FIND THE CODE!! Anyone have any idea? Maybe when you buy it, it just comes up with the $2.99 price - haven't tried that.

Be safe, and peace,
cg

posted in Enlightenus II: The Timeless Tower on Sep 4, 10 10:30 PM
Played half the demo. All I can say is, "Is That All There Is?" Putting stuff back, which appears that there is no challenge to at all with the mouse-over feature. You find a spider, you mouse over an empty spider web. What is this all about? Where is the story? Is this all you do throughout the entire game is put things back? It's like having to pick up your room everyday. Booorrrrriiiinnnnggggg.

No way would I even buy this on a DD.

Sorry - no offense to those that all must have found something other in this game other than just putting things back. Plus, game was jerky, slow to load scenes, objects way too small, writing way too small, didn't play smoothly at all.

All my best to those that are really enjoying this game. I'm glad you found something you really like - that's all that matters, Right?

Peace,
cg

posted in Snark Busters: Welcome to the Club on Sep 4, 10 9:03 PM
I do not like FROGS, said Me. I do not like silly cartoon characters or FROGS, said Me. I do not like this game.

IMHO, of course,

Happy Gaming
Happy Labor Day

cg

posted in Haunted Hotel: Lonely Dream on Sep 4, 10 7:40 PM
Just finised my (almost) hour demo of this game. Was a little let down after all the hype about it.

Pros: Well, the graphics were good and crisp. The objects to be found were not all that difficult or all that many. Not quite sure what the story line is, other than to get all the people in the hotel out before something horrible happens ??!! Not a lot of reading, not a lot of voice overs. FBI's guys are cute. Good "tasks" list, which really helped without my resorting to using a hint every minute. The hints that I did use were thorough in their explanation of what you had to do next. The puzzles were hard enough without being too hard. There's no hand-holding in this game - a plus for me. But easy enough to find your way with the task list. There are objects you find just by searching a room, and objects that come to you from H O scenes. There is an amount of going to and fro which I like. (We need to come up with an abbreviation for that-maybe T&F?)

Cons: Definitely the sound effects were annoying, but add that to the music, and you might as well just turn it off - too bad. It's definitely a H O G/Adventure game, but there's something about it that didn't catch my attention. That's my general, overall con.

I'm surprised, as it is so highly rated on the main page of BFG. I don't think I'll get it, even on sale. It seems to be a long game, and may be great for others, but it just didn't do it for me.

Hope you all enjoy and have a great and safe Labor Day Weekend - Remember everyone who is out of work, be charitable.
Peace
cg

posted in Escape from Frankenstein's Castle on Sep 4, 10 5:53 PM
Just finished the demo:

Pros: Hard to think of any at this moment !!

Cons: Obiviously, like everyone else, the constant loading in between scenes - even when you mistakenly leave a room and want to go right back, it has to load. I have never seen a game that did this before. No, it didn't take forever to load, but it was forever annoying.

Also, when navigating through the house, you have to wait for the "directional arrows" to appear before you can go there. These don't appear unless your cursor is on just the right place. Annoying, again.

The map I found of no use whatsoever. The rooms are not labeled, so you don't really know where you are, and you cannot click on a room and go there.

What the heck is up with the Memories? Great - you get to see what she remembered, but you cannot interact with that scene.

Random clicking to find what you are supposed to find. No direction at all in that area. When you come upon a puzzle you are not able to play yet, it gives no directions on how to play - have to deduce you don't have all the pieces to play. Too many long scenes you have to read through. Voice overs just awful, music even more awful.

No sale here, not even ON sale. Deleting as we speak.
Peace,
cg

posted in Exorcist on Aug 24, 10 7:52 PM
Thank you, fishies, for all the great reviews.

I found this game quite different than the usual fare. No clear-cut instructions about what to do next, or how to do it. I played my hour demo and still feel the same way. It's almost as if you're left on your own most of the game. Which, IMHO, is a good thing.

I loved the voice overs, just loved them. Great accents, quick talking so no game lag. Without them, you wouldn't get the flavor of the game.

The graphics are beautiful; there were times I had to turn the background music off as it was annoying; the story is catching, and I, personally, think it is a hard game to play for a H O G.

I used one hint because I didn't quite understand what the game was looking for; and I skipped the cross puzzle as I just wanted to get on with the game to see what the rest of the gameplay was going to be like.

Love creepy games, and this passes that test. Am not a Roman Catholic, so was lost in some places, i.e., the holy water.

Have some credits and the 1/2 off today, so want to get something. Is this the one? It's on my list. Will let you know in the afterlife.....

posted in Echoes of the Past: The Castle of Shadows on Aug 24, 10 4:34 PM
Just finished the demo and found it very intriguing. I like puzzles, so have to take the other side from those that do not. I did not find the puzzles to be "out of character," but will have to agree the hints were few and far between. They were challenging, at least most of them, and I love a challenge. Definitely don't like to be hand-held throughout a game.

I thought the graphics were bright, clear and very nice. Music uninstrusive. Enjoyed the voice over's - at least that kept me from "reading" a book. They talked, I looked around.

Love the to and fro of any game. When you find an object, you know exactly what you have to do with it - most of the time. As I said, I only played the demo. Am glad to hear that it is a long game, but went to the walkthrough just to see how far I'd gotten. Very strange walkthrough - seems I did not go in the order they pictured and began wondering if I was playing the same game? !!!

It was no RTR, but along the same lines. I imagine it will be an enjoyable game for me, at least. But there are some other ones out there that I must try first.

Hope those that enjoyed the trial have a good time playing. I think this is going to be a buy for me.

posted in The Mysterious Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde on Jul 28, 10 3:55 PM
Oh dear, Oh my. Why or why do we get these awful games all in a row?

I got my 6 games from the last 6 weeks or so, which were tremendous!!

But we have had at least a week or more of some real duds. Maybe the good times will start rolling again soon. Keep on hoping! I can think of a couple that are about due to be released, can't you?

And tuttepeever and rhorho, are you both sure you have played all the Dream Chronicles games - the first three - not the last one, The Book of Air - are all here at Big Fish and they are all long, great graphics, and very, very challenging. Mostly puzzles, but not the kind of puzzles I have seen in any other game ever. I guess you would call them "adventure games" but they are not as difficult as some adventure games I've played. And they even have a story line that keeps you interested !! Imagine that? If you haven't, try them out. Definitely great games if you are looking to fill up your punch card. Not a waste of money at all!!

Happy Gaming
cg

posted in Dark Parables: Curse of Briar Rose on Jul 25, 10 1:06 PM
Just finished this game. It is a beautiful game, beautiful graphics, intriguing, challenging, and fun. Yes, I would agree, a map would have been helpful, but after a few go arounds, you got the lay of the land. It was an adventure game through and through, with very few hidden object scenes (to tell you the truth, I don't really recall a hidden object scene, but more of FROG scenes), but lots of puzzles. You did have to do things in a certain order, but the book gave you places you should visit and investigate in each chapter which kept you on track. Thank goodness. I tend to get lost if someone doesn't, at least subtly, tell me what I need to do to finish a chapter.

It was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed it immensely. Not too hard, but challenging. Easy on the eyes, too. At the end, you open up the "Difficult Mode" and can start again at the beginning, but I did not see much difference in this mode, as said by another fishie above.

Enjoy - I sure did.
cg

posted in A Gypsy's Tale: The Tower of Secrets on Jul 25, 10 12:45 PM
I may be a little late for a review, but here goes: I really loved this game - at least for the first half. Had no problems with finding things and using items I had found to solve the puzzles that are throughout this game. Interesting play and challenging! Great graphics, clear and pretty. IMHO this is a true adventure game, as you go to and fro, looking for new hints and new objects to find to complete the next puzzle.

My problem came about half way through. I had done everything I could, solved all puzzles, I thought, as they appeared. Had a number of inventory items, but could go no further. No matter where I went (and I loved the fact you had a map to go from place to place without actually having to "travel" there), there was nothing more for me to do, nothing more to find, no one else to talk to.

So I went to the walkthrough. Found one thing that I had missed, went back and did that, and was stuck again. Ended up having to print up the entire walkthrough from the point I was at to the end, and had to follow each page, page by page. That was when it became ridiculous for me. Why play a game if all you are going to do if follow the directions? No matter how many times I would put the walkthrough down and try again on my own, I would be stuck.

Well, I guess I can sure say this was a challenging game, and very long, and if you finished it without the walkthrough, I bow down to your intelligence.

's and kudos to you. You're a better gamer than I am, that's for sure!

cg

posted in Time Dreamer on Jul 23, 10 1:18 AM
Hi fishies. MSDAWN01 - you need to contact customer support for any technical issues. They will go out of their way to correct the problem and make you happy if they can't. Doesn't appear too many other people have had this problem, so it may be a simple fix or update needed on your computer, and they will guide you through it.

Just finished this game. Pooh on all of you that said it was too short. Took me a good long time to finish it, and here I was, all prepared for it to be over in a couple of hours. Pleasantly surprised on that aspect.

And totally surprised at what an intriguing game this was! Of course, I'm enamored with the owl, can't get over Giovanni's weird crotch, got sucked into doing all the things I thought were wrong even though the diary told me to, absolutely loved the twist of "time traveling" which I have only seen in one other game, thought the graphics were sharp and not your usual fare, HOG's may have been difficult, but you just needed to take your time (as I refuse to use hints unless I am totally stuck), and thought the story line and wry sense of humor throughout were so unique compared to all the games I've played!!!

Highly recommended - and don't let anyone tell you it was a 2 to 3 hour game. It was great fun, and hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.

Happy gaming,
cg

posted in Time Dreamer on Jul 23, 10 1:03 AM
PS - BFG, I am deleting the above post and this one because I did not feel it was courteous, and I wanted to apologize. I apologize to you, too, for posting something that was not appropriate. I have found some really great friends here, and have always been happy with the forums and the courtesy everyone has for each other when posting. Last night, I did not and I am sorry.

posted in Time Dreamer on Jul 23, 10 1:01 AM
There was a message here last night that I wrote that was offensive and not necessary. I apologize to all who were offended by my remarks. I am hoping by deleting this, it will not be seen by anyone else. I made a mistake by being critical of anyone on the forums - the people I have met here have been so kind and so wonderful and so courteous and so helpful to me. I thank you all for all your love and help.

So I want to delete this previous post that was here since in my opinion, after reading it and being told about it, it was offensive. And there has never been a place for that kind of behavior on the BF forums.

I apologize over and over to anyone who saw the previous post and took offense at it. It will not happen again.

From a fishie who just had a horribly bad day and hope you can see it in your hearts to forgive me.

Just finished playing this game. It took about 3 hours for me, but hey - it's late, and my eyes are tired!! I have one other Women's Murder Club Game that I liked, so thought I would get this one for the 2.99.

Even though it is easy, and the dialogs are sloooow, there is something about these games that keeps me coming back. I think it is the story line that keeps me interested, even though not challenged. It really is a mystery as to how it is going to turn out, like reading the novels. I've never been able to figure out the ending until the very end.

So many games we play are high-tech, and you get so involved in that aspect of playing the game that the story gets lost. So, I think that is why I like these games - merely for the story and no so much for the game play. Don't think I would waste 6.99 on one of these, but for 2.99, very enjoyable.

cg

posted in Hidden Mysteries: Vampire Secrets on Jul 19, 10 6:50 PM
I was quite enjoying this game, not too taxing on the brain, but with enough puzzles that were different than I'm used to. A lot of interaction with items in inventory, great graphics, music didn't bother me at all, and I like going to and fro and back again. I also really like that there has not been a hint of a vampire yet because I am not fond of vampire-themed games at all.

Then I read all the comments, and feel I should give this another thought. I went to the walkthrough and found out that it will probably be a short game, maybe 2 to 3 hours.

Thank you all, you great fishies, for making me think twice about this one. A great DD, but I think I'll save my credit for The Great Gatsby.

cg

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator