Posts created by HatesTimers

posted in Royal Defense on Feb 12, 13 3:30 PM
Towers:

There are four towers that can be built on an empty space. These Towers can be upgraded twice, increasing damage and range. Once unlocked, there is a third upgrade which is to a different type of tower. There are two choices of advanced tower types for each of the four initial types, for 12 total tower types.

Once a tower is unlocked, you can replay a prior level (in the same difficulty mode) and the new tower will be available.

The Dart Tower, (unlocked in lvl 1) is the cheapest tower. It hits all types of enemies. It's fast, but the damage is modest. The range is short, but increases rapidly when upgraded.

The Stun Dart Tower (lvl 7) is a third level upgrade. It has glowing green parts. It hits all types of enemies and briefly freezes them. It has excellent range and good damage. It's not quite as fast as a dart tower.

The Slow Dart Tower (lvl 13) is the same as the Stun Dart, except it has pink parts, it only slows enemies, and Ice/Stone trolls are immune (but are still targeted). I think it may be a bug that the Stun Dart hits those trolls but the slow dart doesn't. As it is, the Stun Dart is always a better tower than the Slow Dart.

The Cannon Tower (lvl 2) is slower but more damaging than the Dart Tower. It starts with a good range, which increases modestly with upgrades. It won't target flyers.

The Machine Gun Tower (lvl 8) is a third upgrade on the Cannon. It is very fast, but very low damage. It has a noticeable delay when switching to a new target. Its range is less than the Cannon. It will target flyers. I wasn't too impressed with this tower type.

The Sniper Tower (lvl 14) is slow, but very damaging, and it has excellent range. It will target flyers.

posted in Royal Defense on Feb 12, 13 3:28 PM
Spells:

The Meteor spell (introduced in lvl 3) affects an area for a short period of time. Any enemy in that area will periodically take damage.

The Deadly Swamp spell (lvl 6) affects an area for a short period of time. Enemies in that area are poisoned and take damage for a while afterwards.

The Earthquake spell (lvl 9) does immediate damage to enemies in an area.

The Frost spell (lvl 12) affects an area for a period of time. Enemies in the area, or which enter that area, are frozen while the spell lasts. Ice and Stone trolls are immune.

The Heroism spell (lvl 15) boosts all towers for a brief period of time.

Spells can be put on the same spot at the same time. And spells can work together. For example, a Frost spell can cause enemies to pile up, then a Meteor spell can cause repeated damage to the enemies while the Frost spell holds them in place. A spell placed on a bridge will affect enemies going over and under the bridge.

posted in Royal Defense on Feb 12, 13 3:26 PM
If you start a wave early you will get two gold for each second (usually around 30 gold for 15 seconds). Note that you can pause the game at any time and build towers, etc. It's almost always best to start every wave immediately. The exception is if you can get more money from mines by waiting (like with level 1-11).

You can usually do more damage for the money with many low-level towers rather than a few upgraded towers, assuming you have enough spaces for them. However, when dealing with shaman, the extra range from an upgrade may be crucial.

Tower placement is important. I tend to put artillery up front for crowd control, and have dart towers clean up what gets past the artillery. (On the last level, though, I had trouble with a swarm of shaman-generated troopers getting to the castle.) A space set back from the road can be good for taking out shaman, as the shaman can't get close enough to put it to sleep. A space is more valuable if it lets a tower cover more road (like the center space in a loop of road, or a space sandwiched between two roads). Some spaces get a range and/or strength boost.

There is a space on the castle to build a tower. This space gets a very good range boost.

Occasionally something like a tree can block a shot from a tower. Enemies passing under a bridge may also be protected.

posted in Royal Defense on Feb 12, 13 3:23 PM
Several enemy types have no special powers. They tend to go from fast and fragile, to slow and tough (Worg, Scout, Trooper, Chief).

The Healer can heal others. They are usually no problem, though.
Ice and Stone trolls are immune to teleport, slow darts, and the frost spell.
There's also an enemy that drops 3 little ones when it dies.

Shaman start appearing in level 1-8 and are a big problem. Nearby towers fall asleep when a shaman is near (but wake up when that's no longer the case). They also make portals that generate troopers, which move faster than the shaman and distract guns from taking out the shaman before the tower is put to sleep. It's safest to take out the shaman as soon as possible, (but you can get more money if you let them generate a bunch of troopers). Shaman can be killed with long range towers.

You can select an enemy to be a preferred target. Any tower within range will switch over to that enemy. That is very useful for taking out shaman before they get too close. Only one enemy can be selected at a time, though.

Flying enemies start in level 1-16 (Wyvern) and 1-20 (Dragon, slow and tough). They can't be targeted with Cannons. The Dart tower and all its upgrades will hit flyers, and so will the Machine Gun and Sniper Tower. However the Artillery tower and its upgrades won't target flyers.

All tower and enemy types are introduced in the first campaign. The second campaign only introduces slightly tougher versions of the same enemies (which have different colors). The second campaign didn't seem any harder to me, except the last level was a challenge.

posted in Royal Defense on Feb 12, 13 3:19 PM
I finished all levels of both campaigns with 3 stars on hard mode Actually, hard isn't that different from easy, the enemies just have a few more hit points. A tower that took 33 shots to kill an Ice Troll on easy took 36 shots on normal, and 40 shots on hard, so there is about a 10% difference between modes.

Here are some bugs I noticed in the current version. You get a preview of a tower's range when you click on a space. Then, after you buy/upgrade the tower, you can click on it to see it's current range. These don't always match. The Ice and Stone Trolls are supposed to be immune to stun darts, but instead they're immune to slow darts. The upgrade in the shop for increasing the mine production rate doesn't seem to do anything. (The upgrade for increasing the amount from the mine does work.) Note, these bugs might be fixed in a future release.

I often replayed level 1-4 (level 4 of campaign 1) on easy mode, which seemed to give the most gems for the effort, and was very easy after I got the Artillery tower. I would then buy upgrades in the shop. Note that while you can pick gems up off the battlefield, you don't need to. They pick themselves up if you leave them.

The most important upgrade is more money from enemies, as most of the money from most levels comes from enemies. The upgrade for more starting money is a big help at the beginning of a level (if the level gives you money at the start, many don't). The next most important upgrades are getting the cost of towers down and the damage up. Extra range can be useful too. I didn't use the spells much, and almost never twice in the same level.

You can also buy special spaces on a level using gems. Once bought, the spaces will remain unlocked if you replay the level in any difficulty mode. These spaces boost the range and/or damage of a tower built there. The amount of the boost can vary. Buying spaces is only worth it on the very hardest levels.

posted in Royal Defense on Jan 31, 13 2:53 PM
This game has two campaigns, each with 20 levels. The second campaign unlocked when I finished level 20 of the first campaign in easy mode.

There are three difficulty modes (easy, normal, and hard) The only difference I could tell is that the monsters have a few more hit points in the harder modes. It is very easy to select a given level in a given difficulty mode for play/replay. The game keeps track of how you did for each level in each mode, so it's really keeping track of 120 levels. A level unlocks once you've played the previous one in that difficulty mode.

You randomly get gems during play, and these can be used to buy upgrades. The upgrade will then apply to all levels of all modes. You can also use gems to buy extra spaces on the map of a particular level. These spaces often boost the range and/or damage of a tower placed there. If you replay, or play the same level in different mode, that space will still be unlocked. You can replay levels as much as you want for more gems. You can buy up to five levels of each upgrade.

Once a new tower/spell has been unlocked, you can replay a previous level (of that difficulty mode) and it will still be unlocked, so you can try out your new toy on old levels. It needs to be unlocked separately for each mode, though.

The tutorial was OK, but it took me a while to figure out that some tower types were actually a third upgrade of an existing type.

posted in Royal Defense on Jan 31, 13 2:04 PM
I haven't had any real problems playing through the first campaign on easy, probably because I like to mill gems for upgrades. I use level 4 (easy) because it's an easy level and seems to give the most gems on average.

I expect things will get a lot harder for me in the second campaign. I've maxed out the most useful upgrades, so there's not much room for improvement.

(I posted how I did level 11 in the "Level 11" thread.)

Edit: I finished the second campaign. It didn't seem any harder than the first one, except for the final level which was a challenge.

posted in Royal Defense on Jan 31, 13 1:42 PM
I finished level 11 with 3 stars on hard.

First, I played level 4 (easy) over and over. That level is very easy, and seems to give the most gems on average. I heavily upgraded the dart tower, money from monsters, and the artillery tower. For this level I even put some gems into increasing the mine yield.

For all other levels it's best to immediately start each round for the extra 30 gold. Level 11 is the exception. You get a lot more gold from the mines by waiting.

After two rounds of gold from the mine, I had enough to replace a mine with a dart tower upgraded to 3 (the green gun). I put it just below the fork in the road (a bit south of the castle). It could target shaman going up the road with its long range, but was too far away for the shaman to put it to sleep. When the mines produced more gold, I put the next tower on the castle, then a couple more such towers in suitable places. I would pause the game and select a shaman for the towers to target, to take out shaman before they could put towers to sleep.

I used artillery towers for the remaining waves. With enough towers (upgraded to 2) they took out the crowds of baddies before the shaman embedded in them could put anything to sleep.

At the end I still had 5 mines left, and a pile of unspent gold.

Edit: I replayed with a different profile and without any range upgrades from the shop. The stun dart didn't have enough range, so I put an artillery below the fork and managed to get the shaman with that.

posted in Magic Farm 2 on Jan 6, 13 2:51 PM
You can't persuade the pirate to check his pockets, so you need to get one of your friends from another area to come and persuade the pirate for you.

posted in Alice Greenfingers 2 on Jan 6, 13 2:44 PM
When I had 256 of a crop in the market, it wrapped to 0.

posted in Coconut Queen on Dec 9, 12 12:12 PM
You don't need the orchid house to get the build-all-buildings trophy. You do need to build an aquarium. I got the aquarium blueprint after catching some crabs in freeplay.

I got the orchid blueprint while playing freeplay in the hot springs area, thanks to tips from this forum. I think you need 500+ people and some greenhouses, then you get the message suggesting more greenhouses, and building them unlocks the blueprint.

posted in Twilight City: Love as a Cure on Oct 30, 12 6:09 PM
When I tried to run this game on my system, which has a 1920x1200 monitor, it bombed out complaining about needing 3D acceleration (which I have). It wouldn't run in either fullscreen or windowed mode. If I set my screen resolution to 1680x1050 before running the game, it ran fine in both windowed and fullscreen.

I made sure all drivers were up-to-date, but that didn't help.

posted in Farm Tribe 2 on Oct 13, 12 12:11 PM
I really like this type of game, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

When starting the game there are obviously many things to build/repair, but the game only lets you do them when you get the quest, and it only gives one or two such quests at a time. I felt like I was on a leash the whole game.

The very limited capacity of the storage shed was another thing that reduced the fun for me. You can't keep much stuff on hand or the shed will fill up, and then the workers dump everything they're carrying into the trash bin. And too much of even one type of item can fill the shed.

Another thing that bugged me was that the game punishes you if you try to keep a reserve of money or tech points on hand. Some costs depend on how much you have. When I was told to buy the phone booth, it cost over 2000 in both money and tech points, but in a test game where I didn't have much on hand, the phone booth cost only $500 and about 200 tech points.

Another problem was the way health was handled. In my first game I bought a lot of extra workers. Then I noticed some of them working in super slow motion. They had hardly any health left. Eventually more developed this problem and some of them left the farm. There was no way to cure them until much later when the game let me build the medical thing. This happened even though I kept picking up the trash. (The game says workers are more likely to get sick when there is a lot of trash around.) In a test game, I kept the number of workers to a minimum and nobody lost any health, even when I let trash accumulate. Once the medical thing was built, workers got sick regularly, no matter what I did, but at least I could now cure them.

BTW, workers WILL feed themselves, but only if there is prepared food at the market. However, if you drop a worker on the market, then you can choose what they eat, and the choice will include food that could be made with ingredients in the shed.

posted in Farm Tribe 2 on Oct 13, 12 10:26 AM
I would often see a window piece just after completing a quest. I think doing quests unlocked them.

They came fairly steadily until I had 71. Then it was a LONG time before I saw the next one. The last few followed quickly.

posted in Create A Mall on Sep 24, 12 7:42 PM
I got exactly the number of points I needed to buy everything in the office.

Note that the game gives you a medal and two points to spend if you finish a level in time, and only one point if you finish, but not in time. If you replay the level and finish in time, you get the medal, but not the extra point. So if you want all the points, you need to get the medal the first time you finish each level. Note that you can restart any level that isn't going well.

BTW, I was able to get all the shopping trophies without buying the last (and most expensive) dress.

Edit: The last level seems to be an exception. I got more points every time I replayed it.

posted in Pioneer Lands on Aug 19, 12 2:25 PM
When I start the game on my (1920x1200 graphics res) system, the graphics come up fine, but the mouse doesn't work. The custom cursor just sits in the upper left corner. The system cursor will move around, but the game doesn't respond to it.

If I set Windows to a lower resolution before running the game (like 1680x1050), then everything runs fine. I can also run in windowed mode with my system set to 1920x1200, but the window is a bit small.

posted in Farm Fables on Aug 16, 12 8:47 PM
Farm Fables doesn't like my 1920x1200 resolution monitor and bombs out when I try to run it. If I set my resolution to something less, like 1680x1050, then it runs.

Some other games that don't like 1920x1200 will run if changed to windowed mode in their options menu. I can then run them without manually changing my screen resolution back and forth.

But that doesn't work with Farm Fables. It keeps trying to start in fullscreen, even after I changed it windowed in the options. So the only way I can run it is to manually change my screen resolution.

posted in The Promised Land on Jul 20, 12 11:29 AM
A couple of times I've built buildings and had them get to 100%, but they didn't finish and the builder just kept working. The first time was with the school, and the second time was with the gold mine. I eventually got them built by having a builder working on them, leaving the game (completely, not just to the main menu), then reentering the game. Some seconds later the building finished and I got a quest-done message for building it. (This didn't work the first time with the school, but I tried again later in the game and then it worked.)

Usually, when I do a quest before being given it, I still get the quest-done message and the reward, but occasionally I don't. Then sometime later I leave the game, and when I restart I get the missing quest-done message and reward.

(I suspect these two things are related, and that the building couldn't finish because the game wasn't able to give me the quest-done message for finishing it.)

posted in The Promised Land on Jul 20, 12 10:39 AM
LoriW wrote:
rodneybear2 wrote:So what does it mean when the person in the circle is red instead of white?

The person will lose health while working there and will have to treated with healing herbs at the hospital.

Except when a person "likes" a job, in which case they don't lose health or happiness while working on it.

For instance, someone who likes building can do all the "dangerous" building and repair jobs without having to keep visiting the hospital. (Even jobs labeled "repair" seem to actually be "building" jobs. There don't seem to be any real "repair" jobs in the game.)

posted in The Promised Land on Jul 17, 12 4:03 PM
The same thing happened to me with the school, possibly because I tried to build it before getting the quest. Sometime later the game suggested I build the school, but this didn't appear in the quest list, and the game still wouldn't acknowledge the school was at 100%. Much later I made a final effort by putting an army of people on building the school. Then I left the game, and reentered it. About fifteen seconds later, I got a quest complete message and the army gave a thumbs up in unison.

Edit:

It happened again on another play through, only this time with the gold mine. I put a builder on it, then exited (completely, not just to the main menu) and reentered the game. A few seconds later the gold mine completed.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator