Posts created by Grimwald

posted in Midnight Castle on Apr 7, 18 6:36 AM
* Buzz....buzz.......psssst, psssst, Grim......can you hear me? Hello.....Hello to Grim….

* I swat at my whiskers, but the message is directly in my head. Something about a Genie with ethical dilemmas, a captain being called away, and a godson being sick.... Godson… that must be PTG, and the captain is Randy. The timestamp, however, is from several days ago. Strange.

* Intruder alert! the ferrets yell, and several trample me in their rush to get outside again. A riot ensues, then they return, pleased with themselves. All yours, they tell me. But do remember to wake up first.

posted in Midnight Castle on Apr 4, 18 6:14 PM
The ferret glares. Then the set of its whiskers changes. You're that one, it telegraphs.

Yes. Maybe…?

Suddenly other lithe bodies push past me. Tired as they are, more ferrets swarm out the mouths of the warren. I hear their dooking and chuckling as they cavort about, to an accompaniment of oaths and grunts of irritation. Then --

"It's just ferrets here. She's gotten further ahead of us."

"I was told she often has ferrets. Ow."

"Ferrets have been all over the freakin' world since yesterday! This means nothing! I bet she's gotten to the next nexus."

Any reply is indistinct as my pursuers move away. Steathily the ferrets return , slink reassuringly along my body, and retreat further into the depths of the tunnel.

I have to laugh. Randy was wrong: there IS at least one totally safe tunnel in the MC realm.

I lie here, almost calm now, until I am ready to move again.

posted in Midnight Castle on Apr 3, 18 7:35 PM
I dodge back and forth among the scrub

No good. I'm getting winded, and whatever is behind me is closing in.

I'm running too fast to sense any existing apertures, and I can't take the time to rip my own.

Suddenly, a new threat. I swerve and dodge again. Enemy of the rabbit. Brain catches up a moment later: a ferret, but not Cash or Wickerbat.

Ferrets hunt rabbits, but I've already been pretty deep down my own mind.

Dodge, zig, stumble, zag.

Is it April already?

Swerve, leap.

A sleepy ferret, looking for a warm, safe place to crash. Except for Cash and Wickerbat, there are no ferrets in the MC world....except on April 2, international ferret day. And when they're done with all that weaselly fun… on April 3, it's back into hiding for another year.

This time I'll hunt the ferrets.

Gasp, dodge, stumble again. There, ferret!

Black-tipped tail disappears, and I follow, despite being over-sized for the opening.

The ferret turns and hisses: shoooop.

"Watch your language," I gasp. I flop on my side. One way or another, I'm done.

posted in Midnight Castle on Apr 2, 18 4:06 AM
If it's because we trashed the Tea Room too often, I'm sorry!

Grimwald

posted in Midnight Castle on Mar 31, 18 7:22 PM
Chris Arwin does not return.

This in itself does not bother me, but it does seem odd after he has gone to such effort -- twice, now -- to get my attention.

The picnic tables and barbecue grill intrigue me, stuck out here in the middle of nowhere. Thorough scrutiny reveals nothing. I scuff through the balding gravel patch. Nothing.

I sit on a table and observe the local universum in the vicinity. There…. an unnatural thickening, where too many layers have been carelessly ruched together. The fur on the back of my neck rises.

Deliberately, I turn in another direction. "Oh, look!" I say aloud. "I can see the airship from here!" It's the egg-shaped airship. I can't tell whether it is coming from the Castle fully laden, or on its empty return trip. Still, I leap off the table and head its direction.

I hear the soap-bubble pop of an aperture opening behind me. My ear twitches, but I don't turn around, just put my head down and pour on the speed.

Hiding in the local universum isn't going to work. I need a tunnel, and I don't think I'm going to find one in time.

posted in Midnight Castle on Mar 3, 18 10:11 AM
Chris Arwin has brought us to a clearing in a scrubby, thin forest. A couple of incongruous picnic tables and an outdoor barbecue grill are nearby.

"Yeah, what do you want?" Chris says unexpectedly.

I start to reply that I hadn't said anything, but Chris is cupping one hand to his ear, looking for all the world like someone taking a call on a cell phone. I pat my pockets, only to remember that I gave my last phone to Cash. Then I wonder what coordinates the tracking app will show, and am reminded that I have lost the tracking device back in the tunnel.

"She did what?!" he exclaims. "That is not what we agreed on!" Chris glances in my direction and turns his back a little. "Hey, I can't talk here. Wait for me."

He turns back to me. I tip my ear at him.

"Hey, um, I need to leave you here for a bit. I'll be back as soon as I can."

Too late I realize what is about to happen. "Oh, no you don't!" I lunge at him, but miss. He vanishes.

posted in Midnight Castle on Mar 3, 18 4:22 AM
Be well, Randy!
(But I am planning on a LOT of trouble in the Special Room.)

Grimwald

posted in Midnight Castle on Mar 2, 18 4:58 AM
playingthegame wrote:Time for some Canadian Tales!!

"When I were a lad.....!"

DoubleMsMom wrote:Does your tale include walking to school in deep snow, up hill, both ways???"

Oh, golly!
Please don't get my resident Canadian started with "Canadian Tales!"

And of course it includes the "uphill both ways".... despite the fact that the city he lived in is so flat it had to build its own mountain.

No snow where I am today, but they canceled the local schools because of WIND! That's a first for me.

Grimwald

posted in Midnight Castle on Mar 2, 18 4:45 AM
Be well!
Grimwald

posted in Midnight Castle on Feb 25, 18 4:27 PM
As the aperture closes behind us, Chris says, "By the way, I think you lost a button or something back there."

"A button?" I pat down my jacket, then my doublet. "I'm not missing any… thing…" I grab at the hem of my doublet where I had sewn in the tracer. It's not there.

"Oops."

posted in Midnight Castle on Feb 24, 18 8:43 PM
The shredded huggie jacket lies on the ground like a discarded cocoon. I kick some dirt over it for good measure.

Chris Arwin shakes his head. "No wonder the CEO doesn't know what to make of you."

"He'd like to make dinner of me, from what I've heard," I retort. I stretch, feeling as if I've been bound up for weeks.

"No, I mean -- you're immobilized, with a professional assassin coming at you with a knife, and all you're worried about is being seen in a straightjacket."

"I DO have priorities," I say. "I'm not worried about you and your knife. But you're going to have to work overtime to convince me again whose side you're on. So --" We both turn to study the debris filling the tunnel. "-- where are we headed?"

Chris pushes half-heartedly at the tumble of cinderblocks and wooden beams. "The Elvyn Forest, but now I don't know… the way back is blocked, too. And anyway, there's the thug in the Antique Shop. He's got reinforcements coming for him soon."

I'm excited. "This is the tunnel to the Elvyn Forest? I never could find it! How come it doesn't show up on the blueprints and maps?"

"Doesn't it?" he asks, but not as if he's much interested. "You don't seem very concerned for someone trapped in a tunnel with no exit."

"Been there, done that!" I laugh. "There's about six ways out of this place. Where do you want to go?"

Chris answers.

I unscrew the nearest light bulb, and we leave the tunnel, dark and empty.

posted in Midnight Castle on Feb 24, 18 6:12 AM
Chris Arwin shrugs and smirks a little.

"You're behind this?!" My outrage and indignation surprise even me. I mean, I trusted him!

"No, I've rescued you."

"Then why am I still tied up?"

"It was easier to carry you like this….?"

I tip my ear at him and glare.

Chris does an exaggerated sigh. (Jenifer was right: he is something of a drama queen.) "You're in a straightjacket, okay? I didn't have time to undo it."

Three years in the Castle and until now I've avoided the huggie jackets. A huggie jacket! I start to panic and thrash. "So get me out NOW!"

He sighs again and leans toward me. A slender knife has appeared in his hand.

posted in Midnight Castle on Feb 21, 18 4:49 AM
Thinking of you....
Grimwald

posted in Midnight Castle on Feb 19, 18 5:49 AM
Oh Ada,
So sorry.....

posted in Midnight Castle on Feb 16, 18 8:19 AM
Will it be a red velvet OCTOPUS cake?
That's what Babo always wants.

Grimwald

posted in Midnight Castle on Feb 16, 18 7:18 AM
Got me a Moose!!!
(iOS game)
Yay!

Grimwald

posted in Midnight Castle on Feb 16, 18 5:55 AM
We don't progress much further, however, before we encounter another cave-in. My kidnapper drops me roughly to the floor with a disgusted huff. I've had enough.

"Do you mind!" I try to jackknife a kick at him, but come nowhere close.

He looks at me in surprise, and I stare back - equally startled. "You-?!"

posted in Midnight Castle on Feb 14, 18 1:59 PM
I wriggle, wriggle, wriggle but the other guy wakes up first. I freeze. He - Michaelson? - pulls himself free of the rubble, glances at the fall-in, and grumbles as he lifts me over his shoulder again. What he doesn't notice is that his walkie-talkie has fallen off. I'm in no mood to help him by pointing it out. I continue my involuntary journey, still upside-down.

posted in Midnight Castle on Feb 12, 18 12:16 PM
I'm upside down and bumping along as the person carrying me stumbles. What can I tell…? The walls are unfinished cinderblock. Irregular electrical lighting. A basement reek of damp, packed earth. So… not an "official" tunnel left behind by the Developers. However, someone uses it often enough to merit the effort of some permanent lighting, but not of finishing the floor. I doubt this route is going to be in any of my floor plans or blueprints. Hmm.

Everything shakes with a growl and a booming. Debris falls from above - dirt, rocks, then the blow of something large. My transport staggers again and I jackknife my body. He hits the wall and we both fall. More roaring and crashing and darkness again. A heavy weight across my legs.

Then quiet except for a diminishing patter of falling grit. I spit, blink. My eyes adjust to the dimness and now I see that a section of ceiling and cinderblocks have collapsed inward, more or less blocking the way we've come. The lights nearest us are out, but at least one is lit in the direction we were headed. My captor is motionless, but still breathing - unconscious, perhaps.

A small burst of white noise and a voice says "Rendevouz point has taken a direct hit. Report in?"

Ah, a walkie-talkie...

"Michaelson, do you read? Are you clear? Michaelson?"

I wonder if it is Michaelson who is in the tunnel with me.

Pshsht. "Michaelson, we're sending a recovery team to your last known location."

That would be the Antique Shop, I suppose. I'll have to go forward to the unknown after all. IF I can get out of this binding… What AM I wrapped up in, anyway? I begin to wriggle.

posted in Midnight Castle on Feb 11, 18 5:03 AM
silver_hawk wrote:
YEP First roll against the Chamberlain did the trick. Got the Moose

Did you really?! Yay, you!

(Actually, I threw a double-six against the Chamberlain too, but in the wrong game, so still no moose for me yet.)

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator