Posts created by bronte311

Just finished it and really enjoyed it, much more than Dire Grove or 13th Skull. I do agree that the journal should have been more thorough--really, as a master detective I stop to record my feelings all the time but can't be bothered to write down the codes and numbers I find?

The game is really dark, and I hope Big Fish will not continue to push the envelope by making future games even darker. This is about as far I want to go down that road with you guys! The scenes in his childhood home were the worst for me, and I had to turn down the sound rather than listen to children screaming and being hit while I tried to solve puzzles. That being said, the creepy atmosphere was totally engrossing and I can't remember having such a strong emotional reaction to a game in a long time.

What I really loved about previous Mystery Case Files games were the combination of really fun and challenging puzzles (I can't get enough of the door puzzles!), the engaging plots, and the snarky tone. While not perfect, this game was definitely a step back in the right direction for me and definitely worth the money. Thanks for consistently putting out such high quality games!

posted in The Last Express on Oct 5, 11 9:53 AM
I also played this when it first came out...it's a gorgeous game! I remember the "real-time" aspect stressed me out a bit as I kept worrying I was missing things, lol. As others have said, though, it definitely makes the replay value higher as you know you'll get to see and hear things you missed the first time through.

It's still amazing to me to have games like this available for such low prices...Go for it if you like adventure games!

posted in Pioneer Lands on Aug 9, 11 11:43 AM
Thank you to those who have addressed the Native American stereotypes in this game, as that was a question I immediately had when I saw the "chief" in the game picture. I really like this kind of game but agree that in 2011 we should expect more from game designers. No sale here.

posted in Nancy Drew: Shadow at the Water's Edge on Jul 20, 11 8:03 PM
That's one of my few complaints about the Nancy Drew games, too...I've been known to do things like fold my laundry while I wait for the characters to finish talking!

posted in Nancy Drew: Shadow at the Water's Edge on Jul 20, 11 5:42 AM
I bought this one directly from the developer, so I've played it all the way through already--It's really a great entry in the series! One of the best Nancy Drew games in a while, actually. Lots of interesting places to explore, challenging puzzles, and not too many tedious chores to complete.

I would warn people, though, that it's pretty scary in comparison with the other games...I definitely kept the lights on while I played it!

posted in Deadtime Stories on Jul 10, 11 10:31 AM
I know this is a long shot since this game came out a while ago, but I'm stuck in the swamp trying to find the "ornament" in the hidden object scene with the headless doll body. I've used the hint but the trails just go up to the top of the screen and disappear without ever forming a circle--and there's nothing at the top of the screen that could be an ornament!

I did some searching and found other people with the same problem but no answers, which makes me worried that this is a bug that never got fixed and I'm not going to be able to finish the game... Anyone know anything about this?

posted in World Mosaics 4 on Feb 13, 11 12:29 PM
Thanks for the reviews, everyone--I also love this series and was very excited to see a new one. Now I know I should try it before I buy it!

posted in Trivia Golf on Jan 12, 11 12:38 PM
I agree that this moves very slowly, and I also saw at least one question repeated during the 30 minutes I played--makes me wonder how many questions there are in the database! Not a buy for me, though I do usually enjoy trivia games.

posted in Tropical Fish Shop 2 on Jan 9, 11 11:33 AM
I like this one, it's a pretty standard Match-3 but relaxing and has enough different things to do to keep things interesting.

I was also a beta tester for it and can confirm that they actually changed things since the beta test, which is rather refreshing! The competition levels were ridiculously hard when I tested it and now seem to be about right--thank you, developers!

posted in Sherlock Holmes VS Arsene Lupin on Oct 9, 10 1:06 PM
I think you can play the games in any order--this was the first one I played, then I went back and did Silver Earring, then The Awakened, and then Jack the Ripper when it was released last year. I don't remember anything being spoiled because I played them out of order!

I do remember now that I think Frogwares revamped this game to make it a little easier to play and to make the controls different based on player feedback (including both 1st and 3rd person perspective, for example), so this version of the game is probably the remastered one and not exactly the one I played a few years back. The improvements they made sounded like good ones, though, so I would still recommend it!

posted in Sherlock Holmes VS Arsene Lupin on Oct 9, 10 8:07 AM
I also totally missed this being released on here, but I LOVE this game. I got it for Christmas two years back and really enjoyed playing it, though I definitely had to consult a walkthrough more than once. (So don't buy it if you get frustrated really easily!) It's my favorite in the Sherlock Holmes series because it lacks the grislier elements of some of the others. If you've been wanting to try the series but were turned off by the occult elements in "The Awakened" or the gore in "Jack the Ripper" (which isn't available on Big Fish yet as far as I know), this is the one to go for!

posted in Nightfall Mysteries: Asylum Conspiracy on Jul 29, 10 6:56 PM
Okay, I was too impatient to wait for an answer, lol--I shut the program down using control + alt + delete and restarted it, and it DID remember where I was. So if you get the menu glitch there's at least a chance you won't lose your progress and can get your sound back...still pretty annoying, though!

posted in Nightfall Mysteries: Asylum Conspiracy on Jul 29, 10 6:49 PM
Same problem, can't get to the menu and have no sound. Has anyone tried control-alt-delete already who can report about whether you lost your progress? I don't really want to stay up all night to finish the game, especially with no sound...but I don't want to lose my progress either!

posted in Vault Cracker on Jul 3, 10 9:05 AM
I played about 20 minutes of "Advanced" and am really enjoying it--challenging but not *too* challenging, except perhaps for the occasional translation issue. A magnifying glass is not the same thing as a "spyglass", for example!

The voice of "Mouse" is really, really annoying, though, so I may play a little bit further before I make a final decision about buying it! If he starts accompanying me on missions that will count against it, lol.

posted in Midnight Mysteries: Salem Witch Trials on Jun 13, 10 7:18 PM
I can't even start the demo--it crashes immediately. Very disappointed, I was looking forward to this one!

posted in World Mosaics 3 - Fairy Tales on Jun 11, 10 9:30 AM
Yes, they start you off easy and things get harder as you go along.

posted in World Mosaics 3 - Fairy Tales on Jun 11, 10 7:10 AM
I find these games to be super relaxing...This one is very similar to the first two in terms of gameplay, but I like the fairy tales theme enough that I decided to buy this one as well. Definitely worth trying if you're looking for a relaxing game that will challenge your brain a bit!

posted in Nancy Drew: The Trail of the Twister on May 28, 10 8:01 PM
Ooh, thanks! Headed over there now!

posted in My Life Story on Apr 30, 10 6:20 PM
Stopping by to say that this game is very similar to the just-released "Life Quest"--I would suggest that people who like this kind of game try both before deciding to purchase one or the other!

posted in Life Quest ™ on Apr 30, 10 6:18 PM
I agree with the previous reviews and will buy this tomorrow (punch card already filled for the month!). I kind of regret having bought My Life Story now since this is snazzier and so similar...but oh well!

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator