Posts created by gemmabloom

posted in Jane Croft: The Baker Street Murder on Nov 19, 10 5:17 PM
In a word, zzzzzzzzzzz...

posted in Tulula: Legend of a Volcano on Nov 17, 10 9:00 PM
This is so goofy it's cute. It's got all kinds of bells and whistles, minigames, tasks to accomplish, a village to rebuild (similar to Gardenscapes, which I love). It's easy, but engaging, and just an entertaining change of pace.

posted in Antiques Roadshow ™ on Nov 12, 10 10:19 PM
I really wish developers would learn the difference between hidden objects and objects so infinitesimal that they can't be seen with the naked eye. I thought the premise of this game would be cute, but threw in the towel after 15 or 20 minutes of needle-in-the-haystack. A definite thumbs down from me.

posted in Mystery Valley on Oct 30, 10 7:19 PM
Many thanks to those who figured out the cursor problem. I don't like custom cursors and turn them off when possible, so I never would have figured out how to get this game to work!

posted in Mystery of the Earl on Oct 23, 10 7:49 PM
Silly me, I played the whole hour demo and liked it. I don't care about storylines and skip them when possible anyway. The fairies were a little juvenile, so I ignored them. I turned off the music and left the bird twitters and crackling fire, which I found pleasant. Small objects give me fits, and yes, I did use the hint button, but I really didn't have that much difficulty finding things. The mini games were easy, but added a little variety.
Overall, while I don't consider this a breathtaking game, I have to go with those others who enjoyed it for what it is and who don't always want to have to fight their way through what is supposed to be fun. (I've played things like RTR and Dire Grove exactly once, and will probably never play them again.)
It was a pleasant hour that passed quickly.

posted in Secret Diaries: Florence Ashford on Oct 15, 10 7:05 PM
I lasted about 20 minutes, but when she gasped, "My first meeting with the Marquis. I'm so ecstatic," I knew it wasn't for me. And as others have said, I don't mind some pointers, but am not crazy about being led by the nose through an entire game. Think I'll take a pass on this and wait for the regular edition of Mystery Trackers.

posted in Twisted Lands: Shadow Town Collector's Edition on Sep 23, 10 7:48 PM
I was so not surprised to see this thread. I too am fed up with seeing these CEs cropping up every other day. Just why have I been paying for a credit every month for however long? I have yet to buy a CE and don't intend to.

posted in Midnight Mysteries: Salem Witch Trials on Jun 13, 10 4:40 PM
Ooh, I feel like Goldilocks with Baby Bear's stuff--- this game is "just right." It's a nice balance of ****, adventuring, and puzzles. There is enough revisiting of scenes to keep it interesting, but none of the tedious back and forth, back and forth of some of the more complicated games in this genre. Most of the puzzles offer enough of a challenge to be fun, without being maddening, and most can be skipped. Hints are plentiful, but seldom needed. And the atmosphere is great fun. I enjoyed this one more than the first, which I also bought. Well worth the price, since I will be playing it again. This is the kind of game I look forward to. Thanks, Big Fish.

posted in The Inquisitor on May 31, 10 7:18 PM
When I spotted this game, I perked up--it looked right up my alley. Then I read the reviews and my heart sank. But I decided to give it a try anyway and was pleasantly surprised. I did not find the screens too dark to find objects; if they jump right out at me, it kind of defeats the purpose of a HOG. I used hints and did not find that they took an inordinately long time to refill. I'm not wild about cut scenes, but these can be skipped--and were.
In fact, my only gripe is the Spot the Differences, which I detest. But hints can be used there too. So I used them and moved on.
This game does not have the complexity of something like RTR or Dire Grove (which was a relief to me. I have played both of those games through exactly once, and will probably never play them again--"play" being the operative word). But it is playable and requires enough interaction to hold my interest.
I have a couple more games to demo, but this one is on my short list for this month's game credit.

posted in Penny Dreadfuls: Sweeney Todd Collector`s Edition on Jan 15, 10 6:50 PM
Love, love, love this game. Now all I have to do is be patient until the regular (priced) version arrives.

posted in The Fall Trilogy: Chapter 1 on Jan 10, 10 3:52 PM
KATPOR wrote:I have Windows 7 and 4 GB of RAM and the games runs, but it really slow and my cursor bounces all over the place making it very hard to click on anything. I enjoyed what I played before I got tired of the problems and got out. I probably would have bought the game too.

Ditto the manic cursor for me. I gave up trying to control it after 7 minutes. Non-starter for me.

carrie64bell wrote:When is this game coming out to the members for $6.99. It says early December and I have been checking it every day?

I'd like to know that too. I became a member so I wouldn't have to pay $20 for a game.

posted in Find Your Own Way Home on Dec 2, 09 7:15 PM
yasure wrote:Played 10 minutes and quit. For me,Not even worth playing the free hour

I only made it through 9 minutes.

posted in Hidden Expedition ® - Devil's Triangle on Oct 23, 09 2:17 PM
Woohoo! Been waiting ages for the next Hidden Expedition, my favorite HOG series. Downloading the trial, and can't imagine I won't be using my next credit for it.

posted in Hide & Secret 3: Pharaoh's Quest on Sep 1, 09 7:28 PM
cherbtoo wrote: (I am glad to see that they are not running onto the screen to collect each object like they did in the first game of the series.)

LOL. I had forgotten that about the first one, but remember now that it drove me half nuts.
This is one of the better HOGs I've come across lately. I haven't been really wowed by many recent ones, but am enjoying this and may actually use a credit for it.

posted in Mystery Masterpiece: The Moonstone on Jul 25, 09 7:25 PM
Pinky559 wrote:hidden objects way too small most of my hour i was in just two rooms a nd did not finish either I was very unhappy with this game

Sorry to say, I too was disappointed. Many of the objects are so small they can barely be seen. I quit the demo after 20 minutes and put drops in my eyes. This looked like a good one, but I won't be buying.

posted in Midnight Mysteries: The Edgar Allan Poe Conspiracy on Jul 17, 09 6:29 PM
GeeBee wrote: I bought it immediately after playing my demo hour - which btw seemed to fly by.

I did too, which I almost never do unless I have a credit. The story is right up my alley, and the game is actually FUN, unlike some that are more like cramming for Ph.D. oral comps.

posted in The Magician's Handbook II: BlackLore on Jun 30, 09 9:14 PM
BCSoftGames wrote:Hey all I'm the developer of the game (if you look at the credits I designed, produced, and programmed it; I'm one of the few one person dev studios still out there ). Its interesting to look at all your feedback as it helps me know what people like or don't like, and I try to make my games better using my customer feedback as much as possible!

I've found it pretty interesting that the objects are mentioned to be too small by many people, as the objects sizes tend to be comparable to most games. When we're running a beta test, our testers originally said the same thing, but when we examined and discussed this issue, we found that the problem people were having was actually with the clutter (ie too many things in each scene), not the actual sizes. The intent of the clutter was to make the game legitimately challenging, but it sounds like the clutter might make objects too hard to see for some of you? Everyone is different though, so its hard to say what the right size is or isn't, just like saying what the right amount of difficulty is; I prefer some challenge so that I don't finish a game within a few hours myself!

Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself and let you all know that I'm listening to and appreciate feedback, good or bad (as long as you actually spent some time playing the game!), and you're welcome to message me your feedback as well. I'm also interested to hear people's thoughts on replay value, as I spent a bit of time packing some great replay value into this game, but do you really care or would you rather just go onto the next game?

Cheers,

- Bryce (Owner BC Soft Games)

Hello, Bryce. How nice to "meet" someone behind one of these games.
The first MH was always a favorite of mine too, so was happy to see this one. The issue for me is the combination of small objects and clutter, especially since my vision isn't what it used to be. I had to use more hints than I would have liked. The puzzles were challenging enough (without being impossible) that I didn't feel I needed to be challenged quite so much in finding objects.
But it is a nice game and you did a great job. Thanks for bringing it to us.

posted in Enlightenus on Jun 28, 09 7:39 PM
Yep, I did enjoy it right through to the end. It's similar to RTR, but not nearly so obscure. It helps that the "chapters" are self-contained. It could have been a wee bit longer, but worth the purchase.

posted in 3 Cards to Midnight on Jun 11, 09 5:59 PM
Mitchellm wrote:I have only recently bought this game, and unlike everyone else, I absolutely hate it! I don't like being dependent on voice only, find that all the video inserts slow the game down and I don't like the newer games where it is so complicated you are dependent on walkthroughs and tips. Please, a game that is intelligent, difficult, but doable. I don't think i will even finish this game, much less play it again.
I did enjoy Samantha Swift and Ravenhurst, so I'm not a complete dummy!

Not my cup of tea either. I deleted it after the demo.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator